Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Last Night @ Smokeless Joe's

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Last Night @ Smokeless Joe's

Post by Cass »

According to Twitter, tonight is the last night at Smokeless Joe's John St. location.

http://twitter.com/#!/SmokelessJoe

An end of an era for sure, glad to see they're continuing somewhere else.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I was just about to post something about this. I have another event to get to at 6 PM, but it's fairly close to Smokeless, so I'm going to stop in for a pint beforehand. See some of you there, maybe?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Wish we could have been there to close the joint out but alas vacation time is in full swing. I did manage to drop in on Thursday before flying out. Here's hoping the new location is nearby.

Best combo could be Buster Rhino's and Smokeless on College... :D
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

A few beer folks had a quick pint on the patio yesterday to pay our respects to the closing of John St. Smokeless Joe with a couple of stories and beery tales.

We saw Rob who is back working at the bar and confirmed that they are indeed moving, likely to College Street west of Bathurst, as was reported in the Grid as well.

http://www.thegridto.com/life/food-drin ... eless-joe/

Many, many beers were had over the years at the spot, although less over the last couple of years.

Here's to a great run on John St and a successful re-incarnation on College!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote: Many, many beers were had over the years at the spot, although less over the last couple of years.
I know what you mean. Last five or seven years I've been less excited about the tap offerings (being spoiled for choices nearby) though I liked the atmosphere of the place. Very nice cubby hole feel to it, especially when sharing steamed mussels or slurping hot beef stew with fresh bread on a crowded winter's evening. My nascent beer-geekness was discovered at Smokeless long ago, perhaps even before the Scotia theater was built.

Let's hops the new location has a great intimate vibe. (LOL I'm leaving in the typo.)
In Beerum Veritas

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Smokeless was selling Westmalle Triple for $14 a bottle (when available), whereas Town Crier (next door) is currently selling it for around $7 (ridiculous). I agree Smokeless was a cool place... but hopefully they align their prices in their new location.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

JesseMcG wrote:Smokeless was selling Westmalle Triple for $14 a bottle (when available), whereas Town Crier (next door) is currently selling it for around $7 (ridiculous). I agree Smokeless was a cool place... but hopefully they align their prices in their new location.
To be fair, was Smokeless selling it before it came into the LCBO? If they were special ordering it vs. getting it via a seasonal release that makes a big difference!

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

JerCraigs wrote:
JesseMcG wrote:Smokeless was selling Westmalle Triple for $14 a bottle (when available), whereas Town Crier (next door) is currently selling it for around $7 (ridiculous). I agree Smokeless was a cool place... but hopefully they align their prices in their new location.
To be fair, was Smokeless selling it before it came into the LCBO? If they were special ordering it vs. getting it via a seasonal release that makes a big difference!
I think Smokeless was selling it when it was available at the LCBO, and Town Crier is selling it now, and it's been a long time since it was at the LCBO. Town Crier hasn't been open that long.

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

A bit OT, sorry, but I thought the Town Crier pub was draft-only bar?

When did they start stocking bottles?

And what other interesting bottled beers do they have now, especially ones *not* available at the LCBO?
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

aser

Post by aser »

$7? That's a great price? How come I've slept on this for so long? Why didn't anyone tell me????

damn I gotta go.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

What's wrong with a ten-dollar mark up? It's a TRAPPIST ALE.... ;)

I'm having fun here, but yes, there seem to be two price standards in Toronto for the Rocheforts, Westmalles and so on. One standard is for bars that like to quickly sell out cases at a nominal profit, and the other for bars that try to control a consistent supply for their clients year-round - by selling at higher prices.

I'm only guessing it's so intended, and I guess this way everyone's happy.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

It's not really a fair apples to apples comparison.

Smaller place, less people, less food. TC is also open earlier for brunch.

Once in the new location we can see based on size, food, hours and their area competitors whether prices are in the same ballpark.

To be honest though I rarely ordered bottles at Smokeless. I did occasionally when I found something really interesting not available anywhere else. I do the same at beerbistro sometimes which has high bottle prices too.
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

According to their twitter feed they have confirmed 488 College St as the new location with mid-August opening. Nice to see them coming back!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote:According to their twitter feed they have confirmed 488 College St as the new location with mid-August opening. Nice to see them coming back!
Yes the new premises is nicely located close to Caplansky's, The Paddock and Burger Bar & Kensington Market, so they're almost more relevant to this area I think. Best luck to them, they need an opening bash!
In Beerum Veritas

aser

Post by aser »

Good news, although I don't recall that space being too big. Perhaps they'll use upstairs also?