Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

mosquitos attrcted to beer drinkers...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

The_Jester
Bar Fly

mosquitos attrcted to beer drinkers...

Post by The_Jester »

"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

"...highly nutritious blood-meals" LOL

Eating bananas is supposed to be pretty bad too.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Pre-beer drinking (childhood), mosquitoes have never liked me while voraciously attacking my sister.. Post-beer drinking (adulthood) they still don't like me while they voraciously attack my girlfriend. Of the few fruits that I eat, bananas are high on the list. Big shrug there.

So either I don't give off a scent that the little buggers like or I have more sensitive skin and notice them sooner then the rest of you. :P
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

In Beerum Veritas

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I did some research into mosquitoes last year at the library. Here is what I found:
  • * Studies have shown that mosquitoes prefer feet, then hands then the face. So cover your feet and ankles!
    * Mosquitoes have good vision and are particularly good at noticing dark colours. Black, red, and violet in particular. Even worse are stripes and checkerboard patters. Mosquitos will home in on these in no time. The worst thing a referee can do is to go into the woods!
    * Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2, warmth and lactic acid in sweat. So a hot, sweating and breathing hard hiker or camper is an easy target.
    * DEET has been proven time and time again as the best repellent. Despite being a plasticizer (it melts plastic) it has only had a minniscule amount of problems in over 8 billion doses. 10 percent strength is appropriate for children. Adults should not apply anything over 30%. The benefits of going to anything stronger are very small.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

I always encourage people not to exhale.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

None of you should ever go here then...there is a reason they call it Skunk's Misery.

http://www.ttlt.ca/skunksmisery.html

I go birding here from time to time and it is the only place I've had to leave due to mosquitoes. Literally hundreds flying around you constantly and even the strongest deet sprays are ineffective. Even dogs cannot handle it.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

SteelbackGuy wrote:None of you should ever go here then...there is a reason they call it Skunk's Misery.

http://www.ttlt.ca/skunksmisery.html

I go birding here from time to time and it is the only place I've had to leave due to mosquitoes. Literally hundreds flying around you constantly and even the strongest deet sprays are ineffective. Even dogs cannot handle it.
If you ever want to go somewhere you can choke on the mosquito's quicker than they'll bleed you dry, let me know Len. We'll take a walk around the spruce bogs of Almaguin Highlands, maybe go canoeing down the Distress River for a day :)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole