Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Most refreshing beer during a heat wave?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I got very lucky with the Victoria Gin as it was at a location that doesn't normally stock it, so they had it for $34.95 to clear it out (cashier said it should be cheaper but the manager is cheap.) Still some left there, not sure if its still the same price. Just had it yesterday, I liked it, but still prefer the others mentioned above.

Back on topic, I've been enjoying Crazy Canuck, Mad Tom and King Vienna Lager. I like King Pilsener, but we don't get it around here too often. I'll also say if the Amsterdam Elementary Ale was available at places other then the brewery, and closer to me, it would top my list.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Tapsucker wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Water. Beer will just dehydrate you, so technically it isn't refreshing at all.
Yeah but it won't fix debeeration. :D
Exactly, which is why I still drink beer in the heat.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Why is it that the word "refreshing", when used as a descriptor of beer, is invariably a substitute for the word "bland"?

The perfect beer for this heat is Crazy Canuck, Smashbomb, Mad Tom, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Rodenbach Grand Cru or any other great beer. I'm not going to accept blandness simply because the thermometer is reading forty degrees.

velovampire: How is that Victoria Gin? I've seen the bottles and they look interesting but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Refreshing in the context of this discussion doesn't mean bland. Refreshing refers to light-bodied and often less-alcoholic styles that are best served at cooler (but not cold) temperatures.

Weissbier, Czech or German pils, helles, witbier, kolsch, amber ale, amber lager, drier pale ales - I would guess these are the sorts of beers people are talking about.

There is nothing bland about well made pilsner. Or weissbier. Or witbier.

I drink loads of King Pilsner and Pilsner Urquell all summer long. Lots of weissbier as well, usually Hacker-Pschorr or Paulaner. I used to drink loads of Muskoka Weiss until selling a slight tweak of the old recipe in a huge & fancy bottle at much higher cost became their new business model. They lost a very loyal customer in me, but whatever, they've probably gained hundreds of rubes attracted to style more than substance in my place.

Been really enjoying the Dominus Vobiscum Blanche this summer, and really, I drink a fair bit of witbier anyways. One of my favourite styles.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Doesn't mean bland? The first beer the OP mentions is Steam Whistle.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

And lots of other posts in this thread talk about delicious and flavourful beers.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:And lots of other posts in this thread talk about delicious and flavourful beers.
Exactly. Steamwhistle is one person's personal choice, not one of everyone here.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

mintjellie wrote:And lots of other posts in this thread talk about delicious and flavourful beers.
Which is fair enough, I did however write my original post in response the OP and not to the thread in general, and before reading other posts. I completely agree that there is nothing wrong with a well made pilsner, witbier, amber ale etc.

My point still stands that the word "refreshing" is quite often synonymous with "bland" when it is being used to describe beer.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I asked a coworker what beer they would recommend on a hot day and they fired back with Bud Lime.

No accounting for taste these days

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

sprague11 wrote:I asked a coworker what beer they would recommend on a hot day and they fired back with Bud Lime.

No accounting for taste these days
Lime water can be very refreshing. :lol:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

If I could get some Stuart's Session Ale, I'd probably empty six of those right now. THAT is a summer quencher.
In Beerum Veritas

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

I've been drinking crap loads of boston lager. Being up in the north, my local store stocks lots of it, and its the best thing availale. But im not complaining, great stuff.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Belgian wrote:If I could get some Stuart's Session Ale, I'd probably empty six of those right now. THAT is a summer quencher.
Good choice! When they weren't exploding they were great quenchers.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I dig a radler or radler-esque beer when it's stinkin' hot. Steigl Grapefruit or Schofferhoffer Grapefruit are good standbys or I'll just mix my own with some 7-Up or Sprite. I've been experimenting with various wheat beers, or lagers with pop and just a touch of some of the sweeter fruit lambics from Lindeman's. I've producedad some really heinous concotions, but some really delicious ones too.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

Prima Pils is the first one that came to mind...I sure miss that one at the LCBO.

Creemore Kellerbier and Beau's Lugtread are two other summer regulars for me.

Weissebier

Post by Weissebier »

Czechvar!!!

W.