Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Most refreshing beer during a heat wave?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

toweringpine

Most refreshing beer during a heat wave?

Post by toweringpine »

What is the beer of choice when it is stinking hot like this?

Personally I find there is nothing better than a fresh and cold Steamwhistle when it is ridiculously hot. It isn't a great beer in many ways but it sure is refreshing!

What do others choose to help cool off?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Steamwhistle is a great choice.

I would aslo like to throw St Ambroise Apricot Wheat out there...

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

I like things like Denison's Weiss from my brother in law's keg on scorchers like today...but any wheat style beer i find works

notdan

Post by notdan »

I've been on a Blanche de Chambly shandy kick this summer.

- half a bottle of blanche de chambly
- fill glass with ice cold lemonade
- garnish with raspberries and lime

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Pretty much any micro pilsner, lager or wheat.

Steamwhistle has been mentioned several times. I buy that more frequently in the summer and perhaps at a slight advantage over the others due to it being available more, usually fresher and I don't have any problems with it unlike many of you.

I won't buy the Apricot Wheat in bottles, I'll only have it on tap. For whatever reason I find that they taste different and don't like it as much in bottle form.
lister

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I really like a hoppy beer in the heat, but I like a break from the high gravity IPAs, etc. Sweetness doesn't work for me generally and is an even bigger issue in the heat.

Prima Pils comes to mind as a good solution, but I haven't had one in a while. :cry:

I have been test brewing something just for the occasion. The first batch got kegged on Sunday. I call it "A Role in the Hay" It's a hoppy pale ale with a little wheat for a refined body and some rye for a spicy note. At 4.5 ABV it's close to what I would consider the perfect patio beer. I have a second tweaked batch in the fermenter right now, but I suspect it will turn out a little bit heavier bodied than the task calls for.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

King Pilsner

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Water. Beer will just dehydrate you, so technically it isn't refreshing at all.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Water. Beer will just dehydrate you, so technically it isn't refreshing at all.
i'll die of dehydration with a smile on my face though!

been rolling through this keg of all-columbus xpa. damn tasty.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Water. Beer will just dehydrate you, so technically it isn't refreshing at all.
Yeah but it won't fix debeeration. :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

My fridge has been almost exclusively stocked with King Pils and GLB Crazy Canuck this summer. So between those, water, green tea, and icy Victoria Gin & tonics, I've been well prepared to beat the heat.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Why is it that the word "refreshing", when used as a descriptor of beer, is invariably a substitute for the word "bland"?

The perfect beer for this heat is Crazy Canuck, Smashbomb, Mad Tom, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Rodenbach Grand Cru or any other great beer. I'm not going to accept blandness simply because the thermometer is reading forty degrees.

velovampire: How is that Victoria Gin? I've seen the bottles and they look interesting but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:How is that Victoria Gin? I've seen the bottles and they look interesting but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
IMO, it's worth it. A bit spendy, but different. I get a lot more anise/black licorice in this one than most gins, so if you like that, it's a go. It also seems a bit thicker, or full-bodied than the usual suspects. I started out years ago with Tanqueray and Bombay Sapphire (somehow managed to skip the Gordon's/Beefeater/etc gins) and have since graduated to this and Hendrick's. I also enjoy Plymouth for a smoother, sweeter gin. Anyway, before this tangent gets too tangential, I'd recommend the Vic. Bigger, bolder, perhaps not as smooth or rounded as some of the old world examples, but very interesting and unique. Give it a go, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The hop craving only increases. Hopyard, Stone IPA, Mad Tom, Noble Pils, Galt Knife Pre-Prohibition Lager, Ploughman's Ale, Black Oak Pale. When Hop Head and Red Racer show up I may just go insane.

Speaking of Black Oak the Summer Saison, while it may not be complex as the Dupont, is one hell of a good bottled summer ale. Other super great ones are DDC Hibiscus and Charlevoix Dominus Blanche.
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

velovampire wrote: IMO, it's worth it. A bit spendy, but different. I get a lot more anise/black licorice in this one than most gins, so if you like that, it's a go. It also seems a bit thicker, or full-bodied than the usual suspects. I started out years ago with Tanqueray and Bombay Sapphire (somehow managed to skip the Gordon's/Beefeater/etc gins) and have since graduated to this and Hendrick's. I also enjoy Plymouth for a smoother, sweeter gin. Anyway, before this tangent gets too tangential, I'd recommend the Vic. Bigger, bolder, perhaps not as smooth or rounded as some of the old world examples, but very interesting and unique. Give it a go, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Sounds good, I love Hendrick's and I am certainly not afraid of bold flavours. I'll pick a bottle up the next time I make an LCBO trip.

Belgian: It's a crazy thought that by the end of the summer one could put together a respectable hop bomb tasting night with beers purchased only at the LCBO. A thought like that even just two years ago would have been lunacy.