Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Macleans article on IPA

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

xocoatl

Macleans article on IPA

Post by xocoatl »

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Great to see more mainstream coverage of what we all know already. I do enjoy the spotlight (or beam of shame) being cast on Keith's. What a predictably lame response to suggest hopping the beer and making it a real IPA would confuse their drinkers...probably as much as calling it an IPA confuses us!
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

I sent an email to the NLC asking "What does the NLC recommend we drink for International IPA Day?"
I recieved this predictable response.
"I recognize that our selection of IPA's is limited (Keith's IPA being our main brand of this style)"
Limited? Non-existent! :cry:

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cagiva650 wrote:I sent an email to the NLC
Excuse my ingnorance (or perhaps just a blank mind at the moment). What is NLC?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Holy hops Batman, the NLC's on Google!
Cagiva650 wrote:I sent an email to the NLC asking "What does the NLC recommend we drink for International IPA Day?"
I recieved this predictable response.
"I recognize that our selection of IPA's is limited (Keith's IPA being our main brand of this style)"
I wonder how Keiths will keep up their ruse of calling their beer IPA when the brand credibility is in peril.
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Everything is on Google, but sometimes it's easier to be lazy and ask. :)

Thanks.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
Cagiva650 wrote:I sent an email to the NLC
Excuse my ingnorance (or perhaps just a blank mind at the moment). What is NLC?
Sorry about that. The NLC is the Newfoundland Liquor Corporation. I live in Torbay Newfoundland.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Cagiva650 wrote: Sorry about that. The NLC is the Newfoundland Liquor Corporation. I live in Torbay Newfoundland.
Any relation to the Newfoundland Butter Corporation? :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

According to Morana, “Sour is the next wave.”
Yeesh, we really are ten steps behind aren't we?

Oh, and insert obligatory Trafalgar joke here.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Bytowner wrote:

Trafalgar has been pioneering sours in Ontario for years. Like many true visionaries, they are simply too far ahead of their time to be fully appreciated by their contemporaries. Thus, history could very well judge them quite favourably. Only time will tell.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Bytowner wrote:

I think we are a long way from Ontario jumping on to the sour bandwagon. We are just starting to pump out decent IPA/DIPA. We still haven't embraced various Belgian Ale styles (although the presence of Unibroue might make that less of a void), Imperial Stouts and even to a degree regular stouts and porters.

In my opinion sours are not going to appeal to average beer drinkers, they are a style that is embraced by craft beer drinkers that have somewhat advanced and refined palates. If you introduced sours in to this market at this point, even if they were decent examples of the style, I am not sure that they would succeed.

Maybe I am wrong, but that is my $0.02.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: even to a degree regular stouts and porters.

This one has bothered me for a while, especially regarding unflavored versions. Outside of seasonal releases, I can only think of two good options available to me - St. Ambroise Oatmeal and Fuller's London Porter. I'd really like see some more local stouts and porters on the shelves.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Cale wrote:

This one has bothered me for a while, especially regarding unflavored versions. Outside of seasonal releases, I can only think of two good options available to me - St. Ambroise Oatmeal and Fuller's London Porter. I'd really like see some more local stouts and porters on the shelves.
Black Oak's Nutcracker Porter is exceptional (IMO) but it is seasonal and brewery only (at least for now). To my knowledge, Flying Monkeys, Great Lakes, Grand River & Beaus don't brew and bottle a porter or a stout (thought GR does have Russian Gun). At least Amsterdam has Two Fisted (brewery only) and Tempest (recently) so they are showing a desire to fill that void.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cale wrote:
Do you not like Hockley Valley Stout? (I do)

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
Cale wrote:
Do you not like Hockley Valley Stout? (I do)
Can't say I've ever come across anything but their Black & Tan around here, although I'm usually not much of a Dry Stout fan.

I certainly can't wait until Nutcracker Porter is back, as I always make the trip up to Etobicoke to get some. I can also get Welly RIS year-round, but it's the lack of the lower ABV stouts I really feel an absence for, as I can always stock up on the imperials. I'd love to see Flying Monkeys bottle their Birthday Cake porter, which is probably unlikely, or even an increase in kegs of the stuff. The only stouts I see on tap here in town (outside of winter seasonals) is the St Ambroise and Cobblestone, the latter of which has never impressed me. Mill St Coffee being the only porter I think I've ever seen, seasonals included. I'd love to see Cheshire Valley Robust Porter on tap sometime, as even the porters I've had and enjoyed that I mentioned above are still flavoured with spices, chocolate, fruit, coffee etc. Sometimes you just want a straight-up porter or stout.