Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

1990s Ontario Beer History!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Might have been Koningshoeven. They had a rocky relationship with the Trappist folks, and I think at one point they were "kicked out" because they were using secular workers...

I could be wrong though.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

La Tappe
We can get drunker than this!!

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

I could be wrong to but I'm pretty sure.
We can get drunker than this!!

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Achel didn't start brewing until the late 1990's, shortly after which Koningshoeven was denied permission to use the Trappist designation for a number of years, reverting the number of Trappist breweries to six. The Dutch monastery got its designation back in the early to mid 2000's sometime.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

When I lived up around Yonge & Eglinton, the mid to late 90s was when I had discovered craft beer at Summit. As a kid I tried my dad's beer which was the usual macro crap, never liked it and stayed away from beer until my mid-20s. Summit had a great pasta bar that we visited at least once a week. Many beers were consumed and some great cocktails thanks to one of the fine bartenders Mary. There was another bartender who worked the lunch shift that was very nice too but I can't remember her name.

I got started with Algonquin Honey Brown then moved on to KLB Raspberry Wheat when AHB mysteriously disappeared. Sadly the pasta bar abruptly ended without a final visit and Summit became something else before the current Boston Pizza. Ahead of Summit being there the place was named Daily Planet.
lister

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I might be wrong on this, but wasn't there a place east of the Summit, on the same side of Eglinton, that brewed its own beer?

Gary
Gary Gillman

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Further reflection and checking has reminded me of the brewpub to the east of the Summit on Eglinton, in fact there were two: one was Spruce Goose, the other Vinifera. I am not sure if these and Summit operated at the same time.

I visited Spruce Goose and Vinifera more than once but don't have a clear recollection of their wares, probably the range was restricted.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote:Here's something else for you Steve:

http://bartowel.com/history/SummitHouseBeer.pdf
Haha there's the old pre-lawsuit Dragons Breath Pale being sold far and wide. It was shut out because an awful sugar-bomb stout from Jamaica that is sold here has a similar same name, and as adult morons we're so easily confused.

And didn't Kawartha Lakes Raspberry once taste pretty decent? I know it's an extract berry flavor addition, and Amsterdam's own whole-berry Framboise recipe is superior but back then, I had many a brunch at the Only* with a pint of KLB and maybe it wasn't so fake tasting in those days.

(* A big Thanks to the degenerate snoop who shut down The Only's weekend brunch, for the most part. Yay, it 's the fun police, we've been hit once again.)
In Beerum Veritas

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Belgian wrote: And didn't Kawartha Lakes Raspberry once taste pretty decent?
Once one of my favourite beers, KLB Raspberry Wheat has been shite since production moved to Toronto from Peterborough.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

For those who don't know, at the location of Boston Pizza at Yonge & Eglinton there used to be quite a nice beer bar called the Summit House (in fact, the bar was called the Beer Bar).

How about those prices too! $4.95 for a pint!
The Summit was a nice location and I appreciated the better than usual beer list, but it had two big strikes against it. One was the food was way overpriced given the quality. The second and less forgivable was that they closed early in the evening. I often remember hearing last call by 10 or 11pm on nights like Thursdays. Hardly a way to develop a local following.

Now, sadly walking by there now feels like a visit to a big box mall with muzak being blasted out onto the street. At least they are helping population control by killing off the intellectually challenged with their high sodium, high fat poison.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

G.M. Gillman wrote:I might be wrong on this, but wasn't there a place east of the Summit, on the same side of Eglinton, that brewed its own beer?

Gary
You are probably thinking of the Spruce Goose (I think that's what it was called). It's now that tacky hoser sports joke called Philty McNasty's. But hey, guys who think baseball caps and sweat pants are formal wear and a coors light is a beer need to try and get laid too!

I don't remember the beer being anything special, but the idea of a brewpub was pretty exciting back then.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Belgian wrote:

Haha there's the old pre-lawsuit Dragons Breath Pale being sold far and wide. It was shut out because an awful sugar-bomb stout from Jamaica that is sold here has a similar same name, and as adult morons we're so easily confused.

And didn't Kawartha Lakes Raspberry once taste pretty decent? I know it's an extract berry flavor addition, and Amsterdam's own whole-berry Framboise recipe is superior but back then, I had many a brunch at the Only* with a pint of KLB and maybe it wasn't so fake tasting in those days.

(* A big Thanks to the degenerate snoop who shut down The Only's weekend brunch, for the most part. Yay, it 's the fun police, we've been hit once again.)
I enjoyed many of the Hart beers. Speaking of the Summit, I remember them having a Hart pumpkin ale on tap and it was the first time I tried the style. I really liked it. Unfortunately I tried a few other pumpkin ales after that that were horrible and it took me a long time to investigate the style again.

The demise of Hart was never really clear to me. What happened? They just kind of faded away.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I believe, after financial difficulty, the brands were bought by another brewer. Forget which one.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

midlife crisis wrote:I believe, after financial difficulty, the brands were bought by another brewer. Forget which one.
I think the Dragon's Breathe Pale Ale was actually a brand of the Kingston Brewing Co (brewpub) that Hart brewed and bottled under contract.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:I believe, after financial difficulty, the brands were bought by another brewer. Forget which one.
I think the Dragon's Breathe Pale Ale was actually a brand of the Kingston Brewing Co (brewpub) that Hart brewed and bottled under contract.
Yes, and also no. The Dragon's Breath brand was owned by the KBC and licensed to Hart, but the pale ale was a unique Hart creation. At the KBC, DB was the name of their malt-extract cask ale, and might be still. I haven't been to Kingston for years.

Hart ran into difficulties not long after Keith Hart, Lorne brewer son, left to become a chef. The brewery was eventually sold to the owner of Banks in Guyana who sent his daughters over to run it. Ultimately, that didn't work either and it went out of business.