Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Garrett Oliver and the Oxford Companion to Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Got my copy of The Craft of Stone Brewing Co. Great read so far.
Just got this in today, as well as a couple bottles of Stone BBQ sauce as a throw in

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

sprague11 wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Got my copy of The Craft of Stone Brewing Co. Great read so far.
Just got this in today, as well as a couple bottles of Stone BBQ sauce as a throw in
Nice, where'd your copy come from?

I just finished the book last night. I found it to be a great, honest, and humourous, recollection of the origin of Stone. The only thing I would change is less space dedicated to food recipes and more space dedicated to the story of Stone, especially in the section that deals with the history of each of their beers.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Friend grabbed it for me from Boston Craft Beer Cellar. The bottles were a late wedding gift (I think).

I'm doing a lot more cooking with beer lately and am glad to have the recipes.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

sprague11 wrote:

I'm doing a lot more cooking with beer lately and am glad to have the recipes.
Fair enough. For me it is highly unlikely that I will ever make any more than a small handful of the food recipes in the book, and I was far more interested in the history of the company and the beer than the food recipes, but I did quite enjoy the story behind the Arrogant Bastard Ale Onion rings.

Derek: Interesting links. Hopefully the Oxford Companion isn't rife with inaccuracies.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Derek wrote:
Derek wrote:I haven't got a copy yet, but apparently there are some inaccuracies...
http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2011/10 ... -disaster/
Wow, that spawned some serious discussion on Alan's blog!
http://beerblog.genx40.com/archive/2011 ... ttoliveron
Thanks for posting these. Felt it was a bit douchy for Zythophile to put down such an acheivement, but I understand the need for objective/constructive criticism. In something this huge, there are bound to be errors despite rigorous proofing, and if he really wanted to help I'm sure that Garret Oliver or the Oxford team would have listened and made appropriate changes with the next edition. It's a beautiful book in my opinion and even though there may be a few inconsistencies, I'm sure they are greatly out weighed by the millions of facts that are correct.

It is kind of funny that they forgot centenial hops though. Oh well, as long as brewers don't forget them in their brews I'm sure we'll all be fine
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.