Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

When is a "pint" a pint?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Also, I'd actually given this topic some thought over the past couple days (I know!)...And Jon, I think what you said is absolutely true!!

As a newbie, it's great to see older threads revised (like the recent lugtread thread for example) because we get to see what you seasoned BTers wrote about those now familiar beers and topics, which ultimately is valuable and just plain interesting... :)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Jon Walker wrote:On behalf of long time participants (go on say it, old dudes) no offense is taken. However where I beg to differ is the idea that new threads freshen topics. The question you posed has been well considered and well discussed over the years....
I read the thread on this topic linked by Cannondale. It seems to me that the thread veered off into a discussion far removed from pint measurement!
Jon Walker wrote:Anyone with web savvy who can help in updating the software will automatically be granted super-hero status by us crusty old buggers.
I'd love to have super-hero status, but beer would be an even better reward! What software is used to power the BT forum? phpBB? WordPress?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote:On behalf of long time participants (go on say it, old dudes) no offense is taken. However where I beg to differ is the idea that new threads freshen topics.
Fair to differ, and it's just a bollocking beer forum innit, b'gorra!

Honestly I consider forgotten threads 'nearly dead threads' as much as I might consider them 'gee what ancient relic can I exhume today threads.'

Let's raise a barely-filled 16oz Duggan's glass and say it's all good.
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Forums live and as such might repeat themselves.

Archives and FAQs are a different beast, but that requires a different kind of site.

Let's be tolerant of free-form usage. Good discussions are more likely to come about if we let people jump in without making things difficult or being too judgmental. So what if a can of worms is re-opened in another context?

I always felt we were pretty close to an online version of having a group chat over a few beers in our favourite bar. Hardly a well structured and disciplined discussion, but among the best!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Seriously, I give up. Post whatever you want. Maybe I'm being fogeyish in thinking it's a little ignorant to dismiss the numerous insights of other BarTowelers that have already been posted on a given topic.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon, you could never be anything but a 'young fogey' to us! Cheers
In Beerum Veritas

cattersley

Post by cattersley »

Bottom line. A pint in Canada is an imperial pint, 568 ml, and if you are going to a bar, and they say a pint is 473 ml, no that is american, they say it is 50cl or 500 ml, no that is European and a metric pint... if this isn't clear, then ask. It is ok to inquire. If you don't like the answer or the glass then don't buy, maybe go as far as the tell the bar manager why... Consumers need to ask questions, and stand up if you don't like it. I am finding that the metric pint is sneaking its way into Ontario, Railway City brewing even sells there bottles, 500 ml labeling it is as a pint, nope. Not a pint. Shame on them...

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Reviving an old thread. Looks like the issue of serving sizes is being taken on in Vancouver.

I'm happy to see this effort.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Of course in practice bar owners can be just remarkably lax in buying and measuring their glassware. So they end up with this odd assortment over the years.

I think many of them just don't think about it, or consider it a point of decorum & respect - not as in some of Europe, where patrons would laugh at the shabby service. You just don't serve Kölsch in a Weissbier glass or vice-versa.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I was out in Vancouver recently. The evil 16 oz American-style sleeves seem to be far more prevalent than they are in Toronto. In fact, IIRC they are basically everywhere at all the good beer bars, with the blessed exception of Alibi Room. So good for CAMRA Vancouver to raise the issue.