Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa-based tasting group (Poll)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Would you be in for a tasting group in Ottawa?

Hells yeah! Every month! My place.
26%
Would participate once in a while
47%
Cool as long as its not at my place
11%
Beh, I do my drinking alone, with nobody else.
5%
Good idea, but not interested
No votes
All around bad idea
11%

Total votes: 19

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Bumping this as I don't think we have heard a response from a lot of the Ottawa crowd.

Ralph, you seem to be in regular conversation with Mr. Fishh and Mr. Kelly. Did they have anything to say about the idea?

jayB

Post by jayB »

Sounds great, I would definitely be interested too.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Any BAs from Ottawa who aren't BTers? Might be worth putting it up there too.

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

I'd definitely be up for something like this.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

So interest seems great, how bout we get this started.

After speaking with some of you, I recommend we start off by a meet & greet at Bistro Autre Oeil or BDT. Both places would be welcoming, and BDT we could probably get the VIP room for the evening.

I suggest either Thursday week after next (eve of memorial day).

Any takers?

Once there we can discuss good beer while drinking good beer and setup a calendar for monthly tastings.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Unfortunately Thursdays are bad for me. Might I suggest a Friday night so no one has work the next day?

I'm very excited for this but this is a terrible month for me coming up work wise. But I'll keep tabs and make it when I can.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Sounds great! Thursdays or Fridays work for me.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Nov 10th is fine by me. I'll be there.

jayB

Post by jayB »

I'm definitely up for it, and Thursdays or Fridays are usually pretty good. Nov 10 definitely works for me, if that's the date that is decided.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

just a thought, but if most people are from Ottawa maybe we should meet at the Arrow and the Loon. They have a decent tap list and the place is always dead (so they'd have room for us)

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

I'm game for anything. Oeil, BDT, The Loon, should be a fine night either way. Are we settled on the Thursday? If so, do we have a time in mind?
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

I'm game when I come back to town in January :-p. This should have started when I still lived in Ottawa!
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Wish I could, but I'll be on my honeymoon! Don't take my absence as lack of interest and keep those of us who can't make it updated here. IMHO it should be the Loon, let's show them love for their cask offerings and dedication to Ontario beer.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I'm game for the Loon but I better not learn some of you never went to the Autre Oeil or there will be some major teasing.

Official, nov 10th, let's say 7:00? That way those with family obligations can get those out of the way first. I may be there earlier for food.

May be busy since it's a faux-Friday no?

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

JesseM wrote:Tasting groups are always an awesme idea if those involved can make the committment and there is a safe place to host them (as you may end up fairly smashed).

I'm very deeply grateful to the guys in my area who I've been to tastings with, and even more deeply regret that these days I'm simply not available to attend and have extremely limited resources in getting interesting beers (currently).

But this thread makes me wish I lived in Ottawa :P. Kudos to your good thinking Ian.
I enjoyed those tastings far more than hitting the beer bars, and I still love hitting them beer bars.