Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa-based tasting group (Poll)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Would you be in for a tasting group in Ottawa?

Hells yeah! Every month! My place.
26%
Would participate once in a while
47%
Cool as long as its not at my place
11%
Beh, I do my drinking alone, with nobody else.
5%
Good idea, but not interested
No votes
All around bad idea
11%

Total votes: 19

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

For NA, they sometimes some pretty vile Eastern European stuff at Skela...

probstk

Post by probstk »

Brews Phillips wrote:Thanks for being a great host, Lubiere. It was nice to meet everyone. An admirable turnout for -20 degree weather!

Perhaps there should be another Bartowel Ottawa adventure when some of these new brewpubs eventually open up?!?
What about a gathering at Brasseurs du Temps in the meantime? Fantastic beer, great venue, we might even me able to talk shop with Dominique.

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

probstk wrote:
Brews Phillips wrote:Thanks for being a great host, Lubiere. It was nice to meet everyone. An admirable turnout for -20 degree weather!

Perhaps there should be another Bartowel Ottawa adventure when some of these new brewpubs eventually open up?!?
What about a gathering at Brasseurs du Temps in the meantime? Fantastic beer, great venue, we might even me able to talk shop with Dominique.
I'd be up for that but have to be honest that the next month or so if crazy in terms of schedules and people coming up to visit during winterlude. I know there was some talk about the two upcomming fests - apart from Ian who is organizing (I think) one of them anyone else planning on going?

probstk

Post by probstk »

pushkinwow wrote:
probstk wrote:

I'd be up for that but have to be honest that the next month or so if crazy in terms of schedules and people coming up to visit during winterlude. I know there was some talk about the two upcomming fests - apart from Ian who is organizing (I think) one of them anyone else planning on going?
I'll likely head over to Chateau Cartier on Friday for the Hivern'Ales.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Let us know what you think. I'm heading over later on Saturday.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I'll be there around 7pm on Saturday and also planning on going to the other one during Winterlude.

February is a busy month for me with year end audit and what not. I'd suggest another meeting of the minds in March. Of course if we don't hook up at one of the festivals.

Or maybe a lunch or something at Mill Street. Do the majority of people work downtown or Hull? We could maybe do an easy lunch one day.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I' probably heading over to Tremblant for the 16th anniversary of St-Arnoulds brewery. If that doesnt pan out, I'll most probably be at the festival..

BTW, how does Feb 11th sound for the next Ottawa tasting? (Zuma, can you host?)

We could do a brewery feature. Some ideas:

Probably easy to setup:
- Stone
- Fuller's
- Bells
- Brasseurs du Temps
- Dogfish
- Victory
- Flying DOg
- Founder's
- Garrison
- Goose Island
- Nogne
- Sierra Nevada

A bit harder...
- Trou du Diable
- Lost Abbey
- New Belgium
- The Bruery
- Russian River
- Three Floyds
- New Glarus
- Phillips
- Alaskan
- Alesmith

Let me know!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I'm out for the 11th. I'll be at the Edm/Ott game watching my Oilers get trampled.

Chances are good that I'll be well drunk, drowning my sorrows and in no shape for a proper tasting.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

I'm in Ottawa the 15th to 17th of Feb! I'd love to come if you folks can swing one of those nights.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Missed the last get together (well, both) and am definitely up for the next one if you'll have me. Will make a point of checking back here.

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

cfrancis wrote:I'll be there around 7pm on Saturday and also planning on going to the other one during Winterlude.

February is a busy month for me with year end audit and what not. I'd suggest another meeting of the minds in March. Of course if we don't hook up at one of the festivals.

Or maybe a lunch or something at Mill Street. Do the majority of people work downtown or Hull? We could maybe do an easy lunch one day.
Gota agree with Chad - I'm out for most of February (and on the 11th I don't think my wife would appreciate being left with my mother for the evening) but March is looking much better.

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

I'm out for the 11th...its the Mondiale des Cidres de Glaces, and I'm going with my sister....I think Sylvain is going to.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Okay so lets push for March 17th. Anyone can make it then?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

isn't that st patricks day?
iguenard wrote:Okay so lets push for March 17th. Anyone can make it then?

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

iguenard wrote:Okay so lets push for March 17th. Anyone can make it then?
So March is pretty open for me - that could work - unless anyone has some St Patty day plans...