Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Non Beer Related...I need stove/rangehood help...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Non Beer Related...I need stove/rangehood help...

Post by JeffPorter »

Well, reassurance really...

If any gearheads out there have knowledge about gas stoves and range hoods, I'd be appreciative...

For a wedding present my parent are replace all our old, crappy appliances and much to my pleasure bought us a gas 30 inch bluestar stove...We had to bring gaslines from the furnace room up, but that was actually pretty easy and now we have a gas hook up...Awesome!

We need a new hood vent though (there was never a hood vent hooked up) - Bluestar manual says it any hood you get be able to move a minimum of 300 cfm of air...

We picked a decent "Pro" hood out that's 400 cfm...The stove is in a cramped space and because of it, the hood only comes about 20 inches off the counter, so we're going to have to watch our heads...It's being installed tomorrow by reputable gas/heating/AC guys who put the gas line into the kitchen...The boss there said 400 cfm is well within code. The hood vent covers the surface area of the burners.

My concern: A lot of online sites are saying you need a 1 cfm for every 100 BTUs, but that's at a height of 30-36 inches...my total BTU is 54 000, but my hood is going to be only about 20 inches off the stove...

long story short...Do I need to worry that I bought a 400 cfm hood and not a 600?

I just want the thing installed so I can make some G*ddamned fajitas!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

Just doing some quick research, your figure of 1 cfm per 100 BTU seems to apply to ranges over 60000 BTU, while under this value it's 100 cfm per square foot of stovetop.

Source: http://www.bestrangehoods.com/consumers ... _tips.aspx

That being said, the only thing I've really retained from my Engineering undergrad is engineers put a safety factor on any spec given to consumers. For example, the 'safe value' they have given you could be as much as double what's necessary, just to be on the safe side.

tl;dr You're fine with what you've got.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I would not be concerned about 400 cfm. You are looking to remove odours and steam, not heat per se. 400cfm will do fine. As you go for more power, you will also go for more noise. If you can afford it, fans mounted outside will be quieter.

Also keep in mind air out, has to be replaced with air in. I have a 600cfm unit (the hood covers a 42" area). I have to crack a window to avoid backdraft from my fireplace (smells sooty) in my otherwise tightly sealed house.

A far bigger concern is mounting the hood so low. I don't know of any that are designed for less than 28" clearance. 20" could be a fire hazard. it could also limit what you can fit on the stove.

BTW, for fans and parts etc. I go to a place called Supreme electric in Markham. They are one of the better electrical parts wholesalers. In my experience they treat their customers much better than the other big distributors and their prices are very good.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

If the manual says you need only 300cfm you can expect they are giving a number that is somewhat higher than really required. It is a safety issue so it is very unlikely they would give the bare minimum.

To get the maximum out of your fan make sure the vent pipe is as short as possible and make sure the installers use solid metal pipe and wrap in with insulation rather than using the pre-insulated flexible duct. Flex duct will reduce the output of the fan by 30%.

Oversizing the exhaust fan can be a real problem. Lots of people think that bigger is better but this is not the case. I replaced a hot water tank once that had the controls on the front all melted because the home owner had installed such a powerful range hood that it sucked so much air out of the house that new air was coming down through the chimney rather than the carbon monoxide ( and other flue gasses ) going up it as they are supposed too.

I will conclude by saying the biggest problem I see with your situation is the 20" clearance off the stove. That could result in too much heat in the fan - make sure you keep the filter clean as a greasy filter located that close to the stove could result in a fire hazard - but it will certainly result in much frustration as it does not leave enough room to work.

Good luck!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I guess the usual Home Depot range hoods are nearly useless? The Broan one I have doesn't seem to do much at all. It's a glorified light fixture. What is a good 'moderate' CFM upgrade from the usual range hood to have reasonable control of cooking vapor (eg. frying in butter)? Also the noise/suction trade off is a good point. And where to buy?

Also TP great install advice, and people never think about how the entire house is all an interdependent system. Interesting stuff.
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

With the hood that close to the range, I wouldn't worry about it being underpowered, you'll be sucking the steam/smoke right of what you are cooking
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I hope you also had a gas line run outside so you can get a gas BBQ and never worry about running out of propane again. If you've not done this yet, I highly recommend it.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

20 inches is pretty close...I'll clean frequently, but weirdly enough it doesn't interefere really with cooking, because of the the six inch lip that the stove has...

so far it's been working pretty good...

I was going to ask the guy to poke a line outside: then I saw the gas fitter break two large masonry bits trying to go through just my exterior brick...

4 hours just to get through the wall!!! I'm not sure what my house is made of, but I feel pretty confident in a storm!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John