Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Canadian Brewing Awards 2011

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Canadian Brewing Awards 2011

Post by Derek »

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

The winners are up at http://www.canadianbrewingawards.com/

Notably.....

Beer of the Year – Fat Tug IPA, Driftwood Brewing Co. (BC)

Brewery of the Year – Picaroon’s Traditional Ales (NB)

Let the debate begin.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The Fat Tug is one hell of a brew. Certainly not as sessionable as some IPAs, but sometimes you just want a big hit of hops and bitterness.

Good representation from across the country.
Last edited by Derek on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Things like "North American Style Lager" and "Light (Calorie-Reduced) Lager" shouldn't be given recognition of any kind. They are insults to good beer.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Things like "North American Style Lager" and "Light (Calorie-Reduced) Lager" shouldn't be given recognition of any kind. They are insults to good beer.
They are all styles of beer. Just because you dont like the taste doesnt mean they arnt good. I get tired of hearing and reading this all the time.

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

phat matt wrote:They are all styles of beer. Just because you dont like the taste doesnt mean they arnt good. I get tired of hearing and reading this all the time.
What if they just aren't very good. Maybe they are only celebrated because the perception of beer for the better part of the past century has been that this IS beer?
Cheese has seen similar "innovation" with industrialization - with slices, spreads and whizzes but don't think they are seriously considered in cheese competitions.
Wine too, has not seen a similar reverence for industrialized product.
Not that I fault in any way the folks at the Canadian Brewing Awards. I think they've done a great job of incorporating new styles and changing with the industry over the past few years.
The fact that those categories exist is merely a reflection of the reality of the majority's perception of beer for past couple generations. And it is reality.

I hate the term "craft" beer. Since when was the onus on us to qualify our beer? Rather, I think that we make and drink is beer and the accountants, suits and marketing gurus have to come up with a new designation for the route they've taken it.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Picaroon’s?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

A few observations:

First of all, the strong porter category didn't even have a 3rd entry for a bronze and LTM Baltic Porter did not win gold or silver, which leads me to believe that LTM did not participate.

Secondly, Muskoka Dark Ale won bronze for porter when it is not even a porter. This leads me to believe that not a lot of porters were entered.

Miami Weiss won in the pale ale category, possibly confirming the suspicions of many on here that they have changed the recipe.

Ten Bitter Years beat out Red Racer??? Well done Ken!

Not a single award for Half Pints is surprising to me. Did they participate?

Great Lakes took home a few awards, which was great to see. What was even more encouraging was the number of beers that they have never bottled that won awards (Barleywine, Imperial Stout, Saison). Hopefully we see these start to show up in bottles or cans soon...

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Half pints does not enter.

Great to see Bushwakker RIS take gold. I helped develop the recipe.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The categories are FUBAR for the most part, and I know the awards are kind of a joke, but a few notables.

Rickards Blonde? What the fuck?

I like Creemore Keller but I can think of a few Canadian Keller's that are miles better. My guess is LTM (wisely) did not enter as their superb Porter is nowhere to be found on the list.

That Northumberland won an award for anything is just a joke. I like Church Key - I don't like Northumberland - At all. I can get the same sensation driving past the smelly bread factory in Collingwood, without the bloating.

Fat Tug is awesome, and a beer I would buy multiples of.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I MC'd the event and it was a fun time participating and celebrating with the winners. Great to see lots of brewers in from out of town.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Don't judge a book by it's cover.

No award is a joke.

It was a good evening hanging out with fellow brewers from all over Canada. Great people. Great times.

Let the commentary continue!
enjoi

Saison

Post by Saison »

Were any of the beers moved into more 'appropriate' categories by the judges as they were sampled, or did they remain in the categories in which they were entered by the brwery? Also, can one beer be entered into multiple categories?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Lackey wrote:
phat matt wrote:They are all styles of beer. Just because you dont like the taste doesnt mean they arnt good. I get tired of hearing and reading this all the time.
What if they just aren't very good. Maybe they are only celebrated because the perception of beer for the better part of the past century has been that this IS beer?
Cheese has seen similar "innovation" with industrialization - with slices, spreads and whizzes but don't think they are seriously considered in cheese competitions.
Wine too, has not seen a similar reverence for industrialized product.
Not that I fault in any way the folks at the Canadian Brewing Awards. I think they've done a great job of incorporating new styles and changing with the industry over the past few years.
The fact that those categories exist is merely a reflection of the reality of the majority's perception of beer for past couple generations. And it is reality.

I hate the term "craft" beer. Since when was the onus on us to qualify our beer? Rather, I think that we make and drink is beer and the accountants, suits and marketing gurus have to come up with a new designation for the route they've taken it.

Perhaps this is just a strategy to make the awards seem more legitimate. If they handed out awards only for good beer, then the industrialized producers would cry foul and claim the craft brewers have hijacked the awards. Coming up with a way to give Molson 67 an award, while similar to giving every kid who played a ribbon, might just be a politically correct way to keep the peace.

Perhaps they should have a 'short bus' category next year. :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

Saison wrote:Were any of the beers moved into more 'appropriate' categories by the judges as they were sampled, or did they remain in the categories in which they were entered by the brwery? Also, can one beer be entered into multiple categories?
If the judges thought a beer didn't fit the category, they simply didn't select that beer for a medal, and noted on the judging sheet (which is given back to the brewery) that it was out of style.

Each beer can only be entered into one category.