Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Niagara College Brewmaster course

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

AlanB

Niagara College Brewmaster course

Post by AlanB »

Since I started Niagara College's Brewmaster course this past week, I have received a lot of questions about the course, often from people who are interested in possibly taking the course.

In order to provide a bit of insight into what we are experiencing, I've started a blog: http://studentofbeer.wordpress.com/

Cheers,
Alan
Too many beers, too little time...

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Not to discourage you, but after reading your posts, your true calling is as a writer!

Please keep it up, very enjoyable.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

BradC

Post by BradC »

Thanks for this. I've been looking for more info on the course and this is really excellent. I'll check back regularly.

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

Tapsucker wrote:Not to discourage you, but after reading your posts, your true calling is as a writer!

Great idea for a brewpub: Books 'n' Brews. Sit back with a book and have a beer.

I like it...

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

AlanB wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:Not to discourage you, but after reading your posts, your true calling is as a writer!

Great idea for a brewpub: Books 'n' Brews. Sit back with a book and have a beer.

I like it...
Sounds like the old Idler Pub.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Hopaholic

Post by Hopaholic »

Iv really wanted to take this course since i heard about it last spring iv only been hombrewing and embracing craft beer since the biginning of the year. I i didnt have grade 10 or 11 science and did bad in math in high school so i was doing some upradeing at niagara college in may/june and was aceing everything but had to go away for work so i never finished it yet. Its prety discouraging though due to the fact that i brobably wont get acepted next year anyway due to the number of applicants, also that there isnt many brewerys around to get a jobs, (they are probably low paying anyway) and also it will be next to impossible for me to pull off taking 2 years off work to go to scool full time, pay tuition and support a family at the same time.

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

Hopaholic wrote:Iv really wanted to take this course since i heard about it last spring iv only been hombrewing and embracing craft beer since the biginning of the year. I i didnt have grade 10 or 11 science and did bad in math in high school so i was doing some upradeing at niagara college in may/june
Upgrading your skills and education sounds like you have the right idea and good attitude. Re stepping away from a steady income for 2 years, I can assure you that it is no fun at all, and if you have a spouse/life partner, they have to be on-board with that decision.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

These are great, Alan. Thank you.

I did notice a female in one of the pictures though. Does this present a problem in what is likely a giant sausage festival?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

When I started in the program last year I wanted to keep a running journal, but by two posts I realized I'm not the daily bloging type.

It's definitely going to help you reinforce concepts that you learned that day by having to explain it to everyone else. It will also be funny to look back on when you graduate and catch all your mistakes :)

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

SteelbackGuy wrote:These are great, Alan. Thank you.

I did notice a female in one of the pictures though. Does this present a problem in what is likely a giant sausage festival?
There are 2 women enrolled in our class this year. Haven't noticed any problems.

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

mistermurphy wrote:It will also be funny to look back on when you graduate and catch all your mistakes :)
I'm already wanting to go back and correct a few things. On the other hand, it represents the learning process, yeah?

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

AlanB wrote:
mistermurphy wrote:It will also be funny to look back on when you graduate and catch all your mistakes :)
I'm already wanting to go back and correct a few things. On the other hand, it represents the learning process, yeah?
You better believe it. Looking back on old blog posts can be cringe inducing. This is why I tend not to.
saintjohnswort.ca

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I'm quite proud of this blog post, and I figure that this is the appropriate place to link it.

http://saintjohnswort.ca/2011/09/27/the ... arleycorn/
saintjohnswort.ca