Smashhead

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

mgmoney

Smashhead

Postby mgmoney » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:56 am

Out of sheer curiousity last night I had roughly a half pint of Tree Hophead in my glass so decided to top it up with a bottle of Smashbomb...thus the aforementioned Smashhead...Has anyone else ever tried doing this or am I breaking some sort of beer geek code by doing that? Anyway result was tremendous...
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...
matt7215
Beer Superstar

Postby matt7215 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:48 am

talk to gary
lister
Beer Superstar

Postby lister » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:57 am

Nothing wrong with mixing beers if it makes something tasty.
lister
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Postby Belgian » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:23 am

Yes I topped half a Hop Rod Rye with some Racer 5. It was better than either separate.

But you can't say 'Smashhead" because this is Ontario!

In Beerum Veritas
mgmoney

Postby mgmoney » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Have also tried Smash Tom, Crazy Head etc etc...I think I may be on to something here...
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...
cannondale
Bar Fly

Postby cannondale » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Anyone else notice that on the back label of the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin it actually suggests mixing in a little of their Blue Fin Stout for a fall warner.

Scandalous!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
NRman
Bar Fly

Postby NRman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Milos at Gambrinus once mixed me up a GR Blackberry Wheat and a MS Cobblestone Stout, a Black Cobbler.
Sublime.
Timmy

Postby Timmy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:56 pm

I regularily mix IPAs. One of my favs is Celebration with Torpedo.

I have done Smuttynose with Mad Tom....it's great.
iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Postby iguenard » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Try this... Jose Cuervo Tequila (no more than 1oz) with Lindeman Cuvée Renée.

Deliciously takes the acidity away and leaves everything else for your drinking pleasure.
G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Postby G.M. Gillman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Well, there is a long history to it, yes. :)

Gary
Gary Gillman
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker

Postby midlife crisis » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Anyone else notice that on the back label of the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin it actually suggests mixing in a little of their Blue Fin Stout for a fall warner.

Scandalous!

Not to me. I found the Smashed Pumpkin to be unpleasant, it was so overwhelmingly vegetal from the pumpkin, at least to my palate. Yuck. However, I added some Black Oak Nutcracker (not having Blue Fin Stout at hand) at about a 1-3 ratio, and created an absolutely delicious fall ale out of something I was considering pouring. I take it from the fact that they actually suggest this on the label that my initial reaction may not be uncommon.

ADDENDUM: I've now finished a pint and a bit of this. I am not a big mixologist, but I occasionally try things if Gary or others suggest them. I have to say this is about the best beer mixture I've ever had. The two beers seem to compliment each other perfectly. Highly recommended.
G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Postby G.M. Gillman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Definitely will try this, sounds good.

Generally I go the other way, i.e., adding a smaller proportion of pumpkin ale to stout to form a pumpkin stout. I wouldn't use Nutcracker as the base with a spicy pumpkin ale because it is plenty spiced on its own. However, the Smashed sounds good for this with its pronounced vegetal character. It will "absorb" some of the spicing in the Nutcracker.

The Blue Fin in fact would be very good, but the other way to the label's suggestion to my way of thinking.

There are many good blends, you can do it many ways, it depends on the constituents and the taste you are aiming for.

Gary
Gary Gillman
carguy

Postby carguy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:37 am

NRman wrote:Milos at Gambrinus once mixed me up a GR Blackberry Wheat and a MS Cobblestone Stout, a Black Cobbler.
Sublime.

Len at the Kiwi does this same mix. It's quite good!
Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Postby Rob Creighton » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:39 am

Len created it. Matt from F&M admitted to bringing to Gambrinus. Credit where credit is due.

Return to “Random Talk”