Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Smashhead

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

Smashhead

Post by mgmoney »

Out of sheer curiousity last night I had roughly a half pint of Tree Hophead in my glass so decided to top it up with a bottle of Smashbomb...thus the aforementioned Smashhead...Has anyone else ever tried doing this or am I breaking some sort of beer geek code by doing that? Anyway result was tremendous...
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

talk to gary

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Nothing wrong with mixing beers if it makes something tasty.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes I topped half a Hop Rod Rye with some Racer 5. It was better than either separate.

But you can't say 'Smashhead" because this is Ontario!

In Beerum Veritas

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Have also tried Smash Tom, Crazy Head etc etc...I think I may be on to something here...
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Anyone else notice that on the back label of the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin it actually suggests mixing in a little of their Blue Fin Stout for a fall warner.

Scandalous!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Milos at Gambrinus once mixed me up a GR Blackberry Wheat and a MS Cobblestone Stout, a Black Cobbler.
Sublime.

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

I regularily mix IPAs. One of my favs is Celebration with Torpedo.

I have done Smuttynose with Mad Tom....it's great.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Try this... Jose Cuervo Tequila (no more than 1oz) with Lindeman Cuvée Renée.

Deliciously takes the acidity away and leaves everything else for your drinking pleasure.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Well, there is a long history to it, yes. :)

Gary
Gary Gillman

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Anyone else notice that on the back label of the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin it actually suggests mixing in a little of their Blue Fin Stout for a fall warner.

Scandalous!
Not to me. I found the Smashed Pumpkin to be unpleasant, it was so overwhelmingly vegetal from the pumpkin, at least to my palate. Yuck. However, I added some Black Oak Nutcracker (not having Blue Fin Stout at hand) at about a 1-3 ratio, and created an absolutely delicious fall ale out of something I was considering pouring. I take it from the fact that they actually suggest this on the label that my initial reaction may not be uncommon.

ADDENDUM: I've now finished a pint and a bit of this. I am not a big mixologist, but I occasionally try things if Gary or others suggest them. I have to say this is about the best beer mixture I've ever had. The two beers seem to compliment each other perfectly. Highly recommended.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Definitely will try this, sounds good.

Generally I go the other way, i.e., adding a smaller proportion of pumpkin ale to stout to form a pumpkin stout. I wouldn't use Nutcracker as the base with a spicy pumpkin ale because it is plenty spiced on its own. However, the Smashed sounds good for this with its pronounced vegetal character. It will "absorb" some of the spicing in the Nutcracker.

The Blue Fin in fact would be very good, but the other way to the label's suggestion to my way of thinking.

There are many good blends, you can do it many ways, it depends on the constituents and the taste you are aiming for.

Gary
Gary Gillman

carguy

Post by carguy »

NRman wrote:Milos at Gambrinus once mixed me up a GR Blackberry Wheat and a MS Cobblestone Stout, a Black Cobbler.
Sublime.
Len at the Kiwi does this same mix. It's quite good!

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Len created it. Matt from F&M admitted to bringing to Gambrinus. Credit where credit is due.