Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Premier Gourmet

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Scott:
If you're anxious for more Smuttynose Robust Porter, there were in excess of 24 bottles sitting on the shelf at the University Plaza LCBO in Dundas (Store# 25). I've had a steady supply for about 6 months.

Slainte,
Jeff

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Scott, your beer descriptions where just fine. And as Doug mentioned, you tagged the Brooklyn as being an Inmperial Stout without knowing it was, so you must be doing something right. :smile:

If you want more practice in rating & describing beers, you should sign up at ratebeer.com. It's a great way to develop your palate and learn more about what you're drinking.

Greg

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

There's also stock of Porter in LCBO stores in Barrie, Aliston, Barry's Bay, Elliott Lake,Hagar, Haileybury and Whitby...if you want details...e-mail me at esprit@primus.ca

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Peter, do you have any idea why the Smuttynose Robust isn't showing up in the LCBO's website inventory system? It's proven to be pretty accurate for me so far, so I'm surprised to see a product completely missing, especially when it's available in a few different stores.

Greg

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Greg, it has to do with how the products coded when they were first entered. These seasonal were not coded so that they would appear on the product search (only the LCBO could explain to you why...the explanation I received was ridiculous). Having said that, I ranted when I found out and they agree to include them but this started with the Spring promo products and therefore does not include products like Smuttynose which were released in January.

Lyle

Post by Lyle »

Scott,

I'm glad you had a good time at our store. Sorry I missed you, but I ended up going to NYC for the "NASFT Fancy Food Show." Josh flew to NYC on Sunday and joined me. Meanwhile, Wesley was in Cooperstown visiting Ommegang. I'll make sure to tell them that you enjoyed their suggestions, and the visit to Pizza Plant.

Besides all the gourmet foods, etc., at the Food Show, there were a few interesting new beers at the show, plus - of course, we managed to visit a handful of the normal good-beer spots in the city - Bierkraft, Mugs Ale House, Gingerman, Sparky's, d.b.a., Blind Tigers, and the Burp Castle. Lots of fun!

Anyway, we returned to Buffalo to find that 22oz bottles of the Smuttynose Barleywine, and Smuttynose "Big A IPA" had arrived at the store. I've had the barleywine on draft, but never in the bottle, and I haven't tasted the IPA yet. Anyone had these beers?

Lyle
Lyle Ostrow
Premier Gourmet
3465 Delaware Avenue
Kenmore, NY 14217
tel:(716) 877-3574
email: premierbeer@adelphia.net

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

On 2003-07-02 14:04, Lyle wrote:

Anyway, we returned to Buffalo to find that 22oz bottles of the Smuttynose Barleywine, and Smuttynose "Big A IPA" had arrived at the store. I've had the barleywine on draft, but never in the bottle, and I haven't tasted the IPA yet. Anyone had these beers?

Lyle
Lovely beer--here's is my rating:

http://www.ratebeer.com/ShowBeer.asp?Be ... nOfID=5235

scott097

Post by scott097 »

I guess if I had taken the time to read the fine print on the neck of the Brooklyn Black Chocolate bottle, I would have seen it being described as an Imperial Stout. I've scanned through Ratebeer.com a few times (read some of your reviews Greg, as well as Joe's, and Doug's) and I guess it's about time I signed up. I've got a lot to learn still.

Lyle, too bad I missed you. Thanks for letting Josh know I was coming!

Scott

DougShoemaker

Post by DougShoemaker »

My wife Anna and I took a little trip to Premier Gourmet yesterday. Wesley, Josh and Lyle were extremely helpful. Janet, Lyle's Mum, was kind enough to give Anna a personal tour of the all the other bounty which Premier offers. Anna isn't a beer geek, so this was very thoughtful. Happened to meet a couple of Rochester Ratebeerians as well, Jeremy and Howard. After making our purchases, we were treated to a tasting. Lyle had a few of his homebrews, and a very nice assortment they were. Also tried the Southampton Old Ale 2002, and the Harveys Elizabethan Ale 1997?

Wesley, Josh, Lyle and Janet, Thank You for all the help, advice and genorosity.

See You again soon, Cheers, Doug

Kent

Post by Kent »

Sounds like we should try for another road trip, this time to Buffalo (Premier being a major stop). How does everyone feel about it? Cass, will the Magic Bus take us down there?

scott097

Post by scott097 »

Would it be worth while going to Ellicottville while we're down there? It's a beautiful town (I go skiing there all the time)... I don't really know much about the brewery though. I never really had time to stop in. Too much skiing and hanging out at the Gin Mill to do :smile: Anyways, if we plan a trip, I'm in!