Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bud Light Platinum

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Bud Light Platinum

Post by icemachine »

Because they don't produce enough brands of swill already....
New Bud on the way

A new Budweiser beer is to coming to the United States in January, theL.A. Times is reporting.

Bud Light Platinum, a long-germinating beer, is being marketed as an in-between brew – not quite Bud Light, but not Budweiser, either.

The beer, which resembles Bud Light in design, will have 6 per cent alcohol by volume and 137 calories. Bud Light, by comparison, has 4.2 per cent ABV and 110 calories while Budweiser has 5 per cent ABV and 145 calories.

There are no plans to introduce it in Canada, a Labatt spokeswoman said, although some brands are introduced in the American market first.

Belgium-based brewer Anheuser-Busch said Wednesday the new beer “appeals to a key group of beer drinkers and expands consumer occasions,” the L.A. Times said.

Some are comparing Bud Light Platinum to craft beers, an emerging market in beer gardens and microbrews, according to the report.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm not sure what's funnier, this:
Belgium-based brewer Anheuser-Busch
Or this:
Some are comparing Bud Light Platinum to craft beers, an emerging market in beer gardens and microbrews, according to the report.
Stella could be in trouble! :roll:

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Derek wrote:Stella could be in trouble! :roll:
You mean 'the wife beater' (only in England)

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

At the very least I would expect such a huge brand to have a crack marketing team. When I read the press release it tells me they have completely failed to manage the messaging.

"Some are comparing Bud Light Platinum to craft beers, an emerging market in beer gardens and microbrews, according to the report. "

This bit shows their press team to be a bunch of hacks. How could they possibly let something this embarrassing to be published given that all of these kinds of releases are vetted. This is a highly controlled brand, yet they allow a half assed message like this out?

Ah well, I was in a bar tonight that had a Kieth's "harvest" on tap. I was just plain too lazy to even contemplate trying it. Shame on me, maybe it is brilliant.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

More alcohol, but less calories than Bud? Plus it is just like craft beer, which I have heard so much about, but would never buy due to all those scary unfamiliar brand names.

Bud Light Platinum is FUCKN AWESOME, dude!

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

saintjohnswort.ca

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craft beers are found in microbrews? Nice clear bit of writing there.
In Beerum Veritas

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

Maybe it will fair as well as the Blue Lime and Blue 55 did here in Canada. Just released this past summer, just announced it's already being discontinued by the brewer....

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Belgian wrote:
Craft beers are found in microbrews? Nice clear bit of writing there.
Yeah, but they're just emerging. You have to kind of squint to see them properly.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

How long before references to the Reinheitsgebot are removed?

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... 0f31a.html

Anheuser-Busch's brewery in St. Louis will start brewing Beck's beer in early 2012, the company said today.

The addition of Beck's -- not part of the traditional stable of A-B products -- is yet another sign of the integration between Anheuser-Busch and InBev.

All Beck's beer for the U.S. market will be brewed in St. Louis, the brewer said.

Beck's is one of A-B InBev's global beer brands, along with Budweiser and Stella Artois. These are beers the company hopes to sell across the world, rather than in regional or national marketplaces.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

The part where it talks about how it is an in-between brew between bud light and Bud reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer and Barney go to the Duff Brewery and it is revealed that the tanks for Duff, Duff Lite and Duff Dry are all being fed from the same pipe.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

and some are comparing it to horse piss.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Kel Varnsen wrote:The part where it talks about how it is an in-between brew between bud light and Bud reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer and Barney go to the Duff Brewery and it is revealed that the tanks for Duff, Duff Lite and Duff Dry are all being fed from the same pipe.
exactly!

carguy

Post by carguy »

Excellent job NRman!