Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

scotch-irish?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

scotch-irish?

Post by JeffPorter »

I may be outta the loop on this...I know they were bought out, but, are these guys just gone?

I haven't seen any SI beers in stores for a while!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JeffPorter wrote:I may be outta the loop on this...I know they were bought out, but, are these guys just gone?

Yes. After Kichesippi bought out Heritage - which had previously bought our Scotch-Irish - they killed off all of the Heritage & S-I brands.

They still own the recipes, and there's a chance that some S-I beer(s) may return in a new guise. I can't say much more than that, though...
Last edited by GregClow on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

this thread explains a lot:
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6221

as of now no SI brews are being made

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

thanks, I know there were some serious Trafalgar-esque quality control issues, but John By was the first impy stout I ever had...way back when it was a mere 6.7%. When I had the Tzarina Caterina at volo a while ago I thought it was awesome...

I've been so distracted with other beers in the past months, I hadn't thought about SI until I realized there's no John By anywhere. Kind of sad about it...may be just the nostalgic in me...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

JeffPorter wrote:Kind of sad about it...may be just the nostalgic in me...
No, not nostalgic......sad is the appropriate word.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

They were one of the first ON craft brewers I tried and I really liked their stuff (until they expanded their distribution and had the quality issues). It really is too bad the recipes are not being used.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Agreed. The first times I tried John By and Corporal's Bitter Brown they were both fantastic. Sadly they were not quite as good in subsequent years, but there's some very good recipes sitting there.

carguy

Post by carguy »

My favorite was the Corporal Punishment. A great brown ale!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

carguy wrote:My favorite was the Corporal Punishment. A great brown ale!
I wouldn't be able to say if there was any recipe tweaking or not, but Corporal Punishment became Corporal's Bitter Brown Ale when it was listed in the LCBO. I only had the bottle version, but I loved it.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

S. St. Jeb wrote: I wouldn't be able to say if there was any recipe tweaking or not, but Corporal Punishment became Corporal's Bitter Brown Ale when it was listed in the LCBO. I only had the bottle version, but I loved it.
Pretty sure it was just a name change to meet the LCBO requirements. Could be wrong though.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

JerCraigs wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote: I wouldn't be able to say if there was any recipe tweaking or not, but Corporal Punishment became Corporal's Bitter Brown Ale when it was listed in the LCBO. I only had the bottle version, but I loved it.
Pretty sure it was just a name change to meet the LCBO requirements. Could be wrong though.
You are right.
Even on tap it was still Corporal Punishment, Bitter Brown was for the LCBO.