Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

what beer goes on your christmas table?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

what beer goes on your christmas table?

Post by JeffPorter »

This year, I'm plonking down a bottle of La Chouffe...or I may even consider Sam Adams Tripel. I know these are big beers, but I cook my turkeys with a shit load of butter. It ends up being a pretty rich meal, and I think the big beers would be just right. I may even throw some Quebec blue cheese into my mashed potatoes just for the hells.

What I would like? A really nice US-style brown ale in a bomber. Guess I'm going to have just get good at brewing for next year.

OOh, I just thought of Night Marzen - those bottles might be good too. Not terribly seasonally appropriate though.

If you're doing Christmas, what beer is going to be at your table?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

The table will likely be graced with wine, but afterwards by the fire we'll be sipping Kathy's Fetish, my latest homebrew imperial stout. It's been patiently conditioning since the summer. Hopefully it will be well rounded by then.

Commercial recommendations would depend on food pairing, but with so many seasonal brews aimed at the cold weather, I would suggest having a wide selection on hand. Half the spirit of a celebration is to share lot's of treats.

BTW - Night Marzen appears to be sold out in the places I was finding it. Too bad, because I think it would make a great choice.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

I like Wychwood Bah Humbug. A nice tasting beer and I do like the sentiment of the name.
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Really can't go wrong with a strong belgian of some sort. Saisons and tripels likely best with a traditional turkey dinner, a good kriek might be nice too with the acidity and fruitiness complimenting the savoury dishes.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Wine with dinner itself. but I'm thinking some Brooklyn Local 1 for evening sipping.

notdan

Post by notdan »

+1 on a spicy strong pale Belgian beer. I often have a Fin du Monde with my turkey (either at Thanksgiving or Christmas) and it works really well.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

notdan wrote:I often have a nicely aged Fin du Monde with my turkey
(fixed that for you.)

Oh yeah and aged Duvel bottles, 750ml. Time to hit the beer cellar 'reserve stock.' I will clear out the aged Koningshoeven and St. Bernardus, a few rare Stouts and Porters lurking back there, almost forgot the Stone anniversary too.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

A magnum of Anchor Christmas and several bottles of our Christmas Pudding Porter.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I'm having an 1845 with dinner and a nice stout, maybe Vache Folle Imperial Milk Stout or Muskoka DCCS, with pudding.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I'm thinking Granite Darkside IPA for aperitifs (bought my growlers this weekend) and Unibroue 17 for digestif. The latter just "tastes like Christmas" to me. I have really enjoyed Orval with the Christmas duck in previous years though - Orval might push the Darkside over into Boxing Day.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Upright 4 for starters

Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek with main course

Oskar Blues Ten Fiddy to close the meal off