Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Brewery of the Year

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Steve Beaumont wrote:BTW, any comments on my picks for Canada, the U.S. and Latin America? (Australasia and Europe coming up.)
Nice pick for Canadian brewer of the year; I may be a bit biased living on their doorstep. They have really stepped up this year with their Big Bottle series and now the Single Hop Double IPA range; the latest one released Blue Dragon was wonderful, especially on cask the other night. Really looking forward to see what the Green Dragon hop is.

Running them very close, IMO, would have been Driftwood & Howe Sound

Sil

Post by Sil »

Steve Beaumont wrote:
BTW, any comments on my picks for Canada, the U.S. and Latin America? (Australasia and Europe coming up.)
I love Stone. Held my birthday party there last year. I still don't think I'd put them as the top brewery of year, though they did put out some amazing beers in 2011. Their 15th anniversary was one of my top 10 for sure.

Have to give some love to my (former) home-town brewery Cigar City for Brewery of the Year :)

For such a young brewery with extremely limited distribution they've made a huge impact and they're pushing the boundaries in every direction.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Sil wrote:Have to give some love to my (former) home-town brewery Cigar City for Brewery of the Year :)

For such a young brewery with extremely limited distribution they've made a huge impact and they're pushing the boundaries in every direction.
I have mized feeling about CC. I have had a few beers that I loved and I few I would never drink again. My limited experience with them has also involved a flat bottle of Zhukov's and they have had some very significant QC issues over the past couple of year.

Personally, I think they are a very good brewery but they are a little bit over-hyped.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

I guess I have a problem including many of the "Toronto" Breweries as "Ontario" breweries, since most of us outside of the GTA can't get the beers that are recieving the acclaim. I'm sure they are great beers, but short of driving 2.5 hours to Volo, I'll never know.

I'll give my shout to my local "Muskoka", even though I disagree with the pricing of some of their seasonals.. I think they are doing some good things, and making solid beer.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

elproducto wrote:I guess I have a problem including many of the "Toronto" Breweries as "Ontario" breweries, since most of us outside of the GTA can't get the beers that are recieving the acclaim. I'm sure they are great beers, but short of driving 2.5 hours to Volo, I'll never know.

I'll give my shout to my local "Muskoka", even though I disagree with the pricing of some of their seasonals.. I think they are doing some good things, and making solid beer.
The more I think about it, the more Muskoka deserves the award for that reason alone. Flying Monkeys should also be commended for getting Netherworld and Smash Bomb fairly widely distributed as well. Great Lakes is somewhere in the middle. Amsterdam & Beau's both have significant distribution issues when it comes to their best beer.

Muskoka really has done a great job of brewing some excellent beer and, at the same time, getting that beer widely distributed across the province.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: Amsterdam & Beau's both have significant distribution issues when it comes to their best beer.
Depends on your perspective doesn't it? You and I think Beau's has distribution "issues" because we don't see all of their products that we would like. To Beau's the fact that a high percentage of their seasonals and special releases are sold out the front door (at what is likely a higher profit margin) is probably not considered an "issue"!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JerCraigs wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote: Amsterdam & Beau's both have significant distribution issues when it comes to their best beer.
Depends on your perspective doesn't it? You and I think Beau's has distribution "issues" because we don't see all of their products that we would like. To Beau's the fact that a high percentage of their seasonals and special releases are sold out the front door (at what is likely a higher profit margin) is probably not considered an "issue"!
Fair enough. My point was that to properly evaluate it as Ontario's Best Brewery there are issues, one of which is distribution, that make it a difficult comparison for those who aren't locals.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
elproducto wrote:I guess I have a problem including many of the "Toronto" Breweries as "Ontario" breweries, since most of us outside of the GTA can't get the beers that are recieving the acclaim. I'm sure they are great beers, but short of driving 2.5 hours to Volo, I'll never know.

The more I think about it, the more Muskoka deserves the award for that reason alone. Flying Monkeys should also be commended for getting Netherworld and Smash Bomb fairly widely distributed as well. Great Lakes is somewhere in the middle. Amsterdam & Beau's both have significant distribution issues when it comes to their best beer.

Muskoka really has done a great job of brewing some excellent beer and, at the same time, getting that beer widely distributed across the province.
I agree with the comments on Muskoka and their distribution. I understand this thread to be about the brewery as a whole and not just the beer. They've had great seasonals with wide distribution. Mad Tom had done really well (is in beer stores and on draught at Jack Astors). Seems like they are doing a number of things well on this front that others could learn from.

I don't run a brewery but I'm certain this aspect of the business is hard to do well so that everyone can enjoy and be able to get your product.

The higher pricing is maybe a smart way of funding better distribution and more availability.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I disagree with any of you who think distribution should be a significant consideration in this sort of evaluation. We all know there are significant hurdles in Ontario, and they are hardly the fault of these excellent brewers. We are talking about, IMO, who made the best beer, took the largest steps forward, etc. in 2011. If distribution was an issue how could Mr Beaumont have chosen Alley Kat as Canadian Brewery of the Year? He'd have chosen Central City or Garrison or Dieu du Ciel or some other selling into the LCBO.
Last edited by midlife crisis on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:
Fair enough. My point was that to properly evaluate it as Ontario's Best Brewery there are issues, one of which is distribution, that make it a difficult comparison for those who aren't locals.
It's a total perspective thing. In Ottawa there is next to nowhere to find a tap from Great Lakes, Flying Monkeys or Amsterdam (limited Beaus distribution doesn't seem so bad now, does it? :wink: ). Muskoka just started showing up more and Beaus is everywhere. So, from our perspective GL, FM and Amsterdam all have distribution "issues". Hopefully for 2012 this changes though.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

midlife crisis wrote:I disagree with any of you who think distribution should be a significant consideration in this sort of evaluation. We all know there are significant hurdles in Ontario, and they are hardly the fault of these excellent brewers. We are talking about, IMO, who made the best beer, took the largest steps forward, etc. in 2011. If distribution was an issue how could Mr Beaumont have chose Alley Kat is Canadian Brewery of the Year? He'd have chosen Central City or Garrison or Dieu du Ciel.
I don't think the argument was about distribution being a major criteria; it was that because there wasn't significant distribution to certain areas, a brewery that may have been the best overall wasn't picked by some people because they didn't have a chance to try a lot of their line up. In Ottawa there is no Project X, or any Great Lakes for that matter, so I wouldn't pick them for brewery of the year, not because they don't deserve it, but because I don't see anything outside the LCBO from them. And, for me, their LCBO seasonals were a little underwhelming. Love Canuck though.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.