Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

fall release?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kid Presentable

Post by Kid Presentable »

now that I've had the summer release and I've got my respective stashes of dogfish head and aecht schlenkerla going, I was wondering if anyone knows what we're getting for the fall release? cass? peter?

kp

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

An all-England or former colonies of England release:

Deuchars IPA 500 ml
Monty Python’s Holy Grail Ale 500 ml
Rogue Dead Guy Ale 650 ml
Bombardier Ale 568 ml
Spitfire Premium Ale 500 ml
Bishop’s Finger Ale 500 ml
Fuller’s ESB 500 ml
Propeller Extra Special Bitter 650 ml
Daleside Old Leg Over 500 ml

Kid Presentable

good to see the rogue again and great news about the fullers and propeller. haven't had any of the others.

kp

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Deuchars IPA was the Champion Beer of Britain for 2002...which is highly overrating a product that is average on cask, let alone in the bottle. But somebody obviously liked it. That award is hit or miss anyway, with only about half the winners really being worthy (Landlord, Chiswick, maybe JHB).

Most of the others I think we've seen here at one time or another. It's laughable that John Allen (Propeller) has to get his beers in here seasonally when BC carries them regularly. At the same time, that's one I look forward to the most I think from that list.

Publican

Post by Publican »

I agree with Josh, Decheurs IPA is over rated
When I had a pint of it in Edinburgh I thought it was under hopped. While this selection of English beers is okay, why can't we get some bottle conditioned beers? I suggest Hop Back Summer Lightning and Swale Indian Summer Ale. Swale brewery is in Kent so the LCBO could have a Kent beer release with this and the Shep's.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Publican on 2003-07-14 08:18 ]</font>

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Hi folks,

Here is the full Autumn beers release:

Spitfire Premium Ale
Bishop's Finger Ale
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Bombadier Ale
Fuller's ESB
Propeller Extra Special Bitter
Alexander Keith's Celebration Amber Ale
Pumpking Ale
Deuchars IPA
Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale
Daleside Old Leg Over

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Alexander Keith's Celebration Amber Ale
MMMMMMM. Wonder if this one actually is an ale?

Joe

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

It would be neat to see Alexander Keith's use their new marketing clout to get some quality product out there. We shall see.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I had the Celebration Amber last year at the Bedford Academy. It's much better than their flagship label, but still nothing overly interesting. One pint was plenty for me.

Kid Presentable

I never got to try the keith's celebration last year, but I remember them claiming it was dry hopped. I find that very hard to believe.

kp

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kid Presentable on 2003-07-21 15:13 ]</font>

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Stupid question: When does the fall release come out? (And I am looking for something more specific than "In the fall!") :smile:

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Officially on September 17 but you'll see the products hitting the stores a week or two before that...try a search on the website a week from now and they should start popping up.

Publican

Post by Publican »

Why the hell is Alexander Keith's Celebration Ale on this release? If people want this beer they could buy a case of Keith's IPA and get the can. These releases should not feature any beers from breweries the size of Interbrew who dominate the bottle and tap selection in this country and many others! Another rant: Keith's should not call thier beer a IPA when it is so under hopped!

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

On 2003-08-29 07:43, Publican wrote:
Why the hell is Alexander Keith's Celebration Ale on this release? If people want this beer they could buy a case of Keith's IPA and get the can. These releases should not feature any beers from breweries the size of Interbrew who dominate the bottle and tap selection in this country and many others! Another rant: Keith's should not call thier beer a IPA when it is so under hopped!
Two points

1) At least I won't have to buy a case of Keith's IPA to try this beer. And, as per my obession, I will have to try it.

2) Keith's should not call their beer an IPA considering that it is a lager (and so under hopped).

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

I thought the purpose of these seasonal releases was to give the consumer a reasonable selection of good quality brews (primarily imports) which the General List could not provide on an ongoing basis....if they're going to start including Molson and Labatts products in these releases then what on earth is the point? Don't they already offer enough mediocre beer? The fall release is already a joke with not a single Belgian product included...has anyone at the LCBO ever heard of this little country? I understand they make the odd decent beer and we're just finishing a summer promo with only one Belgian beer in it....seems to be a problem.