Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ft. Lauderdale beer order - a little help?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

munrets

Ft. Lauderdale beer order - a little help?

Post by munrets »

Hi all,

My dad is down in Ft. Lauderdale and agreed to do some beer shopping for me. The best place near him appears to be Total Wine and their beer list is rather lengthy:

http://www.wineaccess.com/file/store/to ... erdale.pdf

Being still quite new to craft beer, choosing from this list is a bit daunting. Thus, I turn to y'all: what would you suggest is a must-have from this list?

Thanks in advance,
JPC

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

It would help to know what styles you like.

If this was my dad buying me beer, I would have him get me these:

Cigar City Jai Alai
Cigar City Big Sound Scotch Ale
Cigar City Either/Or
Bell's Expedition Stout
Bell's Hop Slam (THIS IS A MUST IF YOU LIKE DIPAs)
Terrapin Hopsecutioner
Bruery Mischief
Laughing Dog Dogfather

munrets

Post by munrets »

Good point re: styles - I'm a fan of pretty much anything, but less than crazy about sours.

Thanks for the suggestions.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

munrets wrote:Good point re: styles - I'm a fan of pretty much anything, but less than crazy about sours.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Cigar City is a FLA brewery that makes some good stiff and has very thin distribution, so at a minimum get something from them. The Jai Alia is great if you like IPAs.

The other piece of info that is also handy is knowing what you have somewhat regular access to. From my point of view, I live near Buffalo and go there fairly often so I didn't really consider the stuff I can get in Buffalo. If that is not the case for you, I might add to my list.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

I'm also relatively new, I would look at...

Great Divide
Lagunitas
Ommegang
Stone

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

Wow! Thats a hell of a beer selection. I know I will be heading to FLL on my next trip to Florida.
I'd recommend the North Coast Old Rasputin, Stone Ruination. I see only one beer from Florida's Saint Somewhere, get that if you want a nice saison.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

I go to Total Wine every year, when I'm at my in-laws place in Port St. Lucie, FL. Great selection!!!

I just printed that sheet the other day, as I'm headed down next month. Keep in mind they often have more than is listed there. Last time, I came back with a bunch of Jolly Pumpkins, and Rodenbach Grand Crus.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

I'll be in Florida for March break for a cruise, but it looks like I might have to make a pit stop here first.
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW

munrets

Post by munrets »

I thought I would post a follow-up on this as I finally got my grubby hands on these bottles yesterday.

In no particular order:

DFH 90 Minute
DFH 120 Minute x 3
Ruckus Hoptimus Prime
Laughing Dog The Dogfather
Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin'
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid x 2
Smuttynose Robust Porter
Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard
Stone Double Bastard
Rogue Double Chocolate Stout
Stone Ruination
Great Divide Yeti
Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti
Great Divide Old Ruffian
Cigar City Jai Alai
Weihenstephaner Korbinian
Southern Tier Oat

And two little funny missteps as they didn't really need to come all the way back from Florida:

ST Choklat, on the recommendation of the beer guy at the store
Maudite - my Quebecois Dad, who rarely touches beer, got a kick out of the title.

Already consumed a few and the Jai Alai was incredible - at $1.99.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

you don't list your location, but for future reference if you're in ontario, about 95% of the stuff that you got is available in buffalo or MI. when my in-laws visit FL each year i always have them bring back the locals. as much cigar city as they can get, some saint somewhere, and anything else that's popped up down there. oh, and FL seems to get some of the more interesting Bruery beers that we don't get in NY, so that's always a good choice.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Brookln Sorachi Ace
anything by Ommegang.

and my advice will cost you a bottle of each