Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cider

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Cider

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I know there are a number of import and domestic ciders available, but I almost never drink them. The domestic ones, at least in my experience, seem to have a fresh, "eating apple" flavour which I prefer in the form of the fruit itself, or apple juice. Perhaps I haven t had the best ones and welcome any suggestions.

But wanting to try an imported one, I bought a Blackthorn at LCBO, 6% ABV, described on the label as dry. I know this is a nationally available label in England and probably made from concentrate, so I thought it might be dull in taste. Not at all. It has a clean and prominent taste of perfumed English apples (Cox Pippin or that mealy type) and indeed is on the dry side but with a sweetish aftertaste. A very nice, natural-tasting drink. I tried it blended with Russian Gun and Sinha Stout 50/50 and this is superb, I can see why the mix of stout and cider is popular in the U.K.

On my last trip to England, I tried some West Country scrumpy, in two variations from a small producer (I was told). One was, IMO, undrinkable from a strong funky brett so I put it aside. The other was excellent and quite similar in fact to this Blackthorn.

I will try other ciders and make notes under this thread and encourage all who are interested to do the same.

Gary
Last edited by G.M. Gillman on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gillman

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

If you find yourself in Quebec have a good look around Gary. Some good Norman style ciders available.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Will do, any names?

Gary
Gary Gillman

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Nope, it's mostly farmhouse stuff, small producers, part of the fun!

Phatman

Post by Phatman »

If anyone ends up in Scotland then Thistly Cross gets two thumbs up from myself, treat yourself!

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Go get some Spirit Tree. It's excellent.
saintjohnswort.ca

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

saints_gambit wrote:Go get some Spirit Tree. It's excellent.
Agreed. One of the best ciders I have had recently. Super quaffable.

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

There is a limited release of the Samuel Smith's Organic Cider (173047) - 550ml bottle. Pretty tasty stuff. It goes quickly so you may want to grab some as they fly off the shelves soon after beeing released.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Thanks for these notes. Must try Spirit Tree at Volo because it seems a regular offering there.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Publican

Post by Publican »

I also think Spirt Tree Pub Cider is excellent. Need to get up to Caledon soon because I've finished the 12 botles I bought when I was there last fall. Wish I could get it at the LCBO.

SMC

Post by SMC »

For LCBO offerings I recommend Williams (#173039), the price is decent compared to other ciders and it's Canadian made.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

My friend from Brittany in France really liked Pommies Dry Cider that the LCBO *was* selling. He said it was the closest to the cider he used to have where he grew up. But the LC lists it as discontinued, their website looks like it's broken and they haven't updated their twitter feed since Nov. Sooo... looks like they're out of business, and this is totally unhelpful.

edit:
And now looking at their FB page, they've been busy moving to a new facility to turn up production, so they should be coming back.
http://www.facebook.com/pommiesdry?v=wall

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Thornbury!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

ErkLR wrote:My friend from Brittany in France really liked Pommies Dry Cider that the LCBO *was* selling. He said it was the closest to the cider he used to have where he grew up. But the LC lists it as discontinued, their website looks like it's broken and they haven't updated their twitter feed since Nov. Sooo... looks like they're out of business, and this is totally unhelpful.

edit:
And now looking at their FB page, they've been busy moving to a new facility to turn up production, so they should be coming back.
The girlfriend will be happy to hear that. She's quite the fan of Pommie's, and we were wondering where it went. From the few sips I've had, I'd agree it's one of the better options (sometimes) available at the LCBO.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

ErkLR wrote:My friend from Brittany in France really liked Pommies Dry Cider that the LCBO *was* selling. He said it was the closest to the cider he used to have where he grew up. But the LC lists it as discontinued, their website looks like it's broken and they haven't updated their twitter feed since Nov. Sooo... looks like they're out of business, and this is totally unhelpful.

edit:
The owner contacted me on Flickr and you should see it return in April. Good stuff.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/