Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cider

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

Full disclosure: My wife is the brand manager for Growers cider.

That being said, I've personally had friends over for a blind tasting of ciders, and the Growers 1927 has consistently beaten out the competition (williams, strongbow, magners, etc).

It's an english dry cider available at the LCBO and Wine Racks in tall cans.

Spirit Tree is awesome, definitely worth the drive.

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

G.M. Gillman wrote:I tried it blended with Russian Gun and Sinha Stout 50/50 and this is superb, I can see why the mix of stout and cider is popular in the U.K.
I just tapped a keg of my own cider and have a part keg of my licorice imperial stout on tap. I may try a blend of the two as you suggest but it may take a bit more courage (or a few more pints of cider) to try it. Not quite sure just yet. :/

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Ok, I'm sold!

Have had a couple of pints of Poor Man's Black and Velvet and I like it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Velv ... ocktail%29

It all balances out quite nicely.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I don't drink too much cider but I noticed a new dry hopped cider (Coffin Ridge Forbidden Hopped Cider) at the LCBO and enjoyed it very much. Also enjoyed Pommies Farmhouse, Shiny Apple (with Pinot Noir) and picked up Le Pere Jules Brut, but haven't opened it yet.

Anyone have any cider recommendations?

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

beerstodiscover wrote:I don't drink too much cider but I noticed a new dry hopped cider (Coffin Ridge Forbidden Hopped Cider) at the LCBO and enjoyed it very much. Also enjoyed Pommies Farmhouse, Shiny Apple (with Pinot Noir) and picked up Le Pere Jules Brut, but haven't opened it yet.

Coffin Ridge also makes a regular Dry cider that I have always enjoyed in the past. That one, along with Ernest Dry, Ironwood Hard Cider, and Pommies Farmhouse are probably my favourite domestic ciders at the moment. Pommies' regular cider is also good, but I prefer the Farmhouse.

Angry Orchard's Crisp Apple and Samuel Smith's Organic Cider might also be worth a look.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Popped the Le Pere Jules Brut last night, wow. Never tasted a cider like this before. Very unique, earthy funky flavours. The cork says 2015 on it and I am not sure how long these have been on LCBO shelves, but I highly recommend it.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

i bought one yesterday but havent tried it yet. it wouldnt scan so while she scanned the rest of the items i went on lcbo.com on my phone and got her the item number. she said "how did you do that so fast?" and was impressed. she said that would make it a lot easier if they could do that

this French cider was added to the database recently but has no stock yet http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/domain ... U63YdQrJYg
at $7.20 for 750ml, it could be quite a bargain if it's decent

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

For cider enthusiasts, I highly recommend a trip out to Her Father's Cider bar. I was there for a tasting menu recently and both the food and paired ciders were fantastic. The owner's family owns a cidery so many of the ciders on tap are unique (thai ginger, earl grey infused and higher end producers)and the bottle list seemed to be totally not related to LCBO stock that I'd seen. I write this as not a cider fan so they had to work hard to get past my bias.

http://herfathers.ca/

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

beerstodiscover wrote:I don't drink too much cider but I noticed a new dry hopped cider (Coffin Ridge Forbidden Hopped Cider) at the LCBO and enjoyed it very much. Also enjoyed Pommies Farmhouse, Shiny Apple (with Pinot Noir) and picked up Le Pere Jules Brut, but haven't opened it yet.

I bought one of these coffin ridge, smelled fantastic but didn't taste very good imo. But, I think it's partly because I'm comparing it to spirit trees dry hopped, which is unbelievably good.

Also, I notice this thread was started by Gary, are you still around Gary? Havnt seen a post in a while, I'm missing your suggestions on mixing beers

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

alsiem wrote:For cider enthusiasts, I highly recommend a trip out to Her Father's Cider bar. I was there for a tasting menu recently and both the food and paired ciders were fantastic. The owner's family owns a cidery so many of the ciders on tap are unique (thai ginger, earl grey infused and higher end producers)and the bottle list seemed to be totally not related to LCBO stock that I'd seen. I write this as not a cider fan so they had to work hard to get past my bias.

http://herfathers.ca/
Been curious about this place. I dont drink a lot of cider at all, but am enjoying it more and more. Does this place do flights of the draft ciders?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

El Pinguino wrote: Been curious about this place. I dont drink a lot of cider at all, but am enjoying it more and more. Does this place do flights of the draft ciders?
Yes. It's a nice little spot.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Perfect. It's on my must visit list now.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

I tried the Domaine De La Duretiere Brut last night. Overall it is a decent cider, a bit on the sweet side. Despite coming from the same region, it is not nearly as impressive as Le Pere Jules Cidre Brut, which should not be missed.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Let to the party but yes Her Father's Cider Bar does do tasting flights. Very knowledgeable staff and with a few questions they managed to recommend some tasty stuff. Big fan of a thai ginger blend cider I had there.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

going to pick up some of these to try this weekend: Caple Rd No 3 by Weston's in England http://www.lcbo.com//lcbo/product/caple ... XJBGbgpWVs
rated 88 for style on "ratecider" and currently 30c off at lcbo : $2.65 for a 500ml can! that would be $3.98 if it was a 750ml!