Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Your first *Aha* Imperial Sout

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Sil

Post by Sil »

Old Rasputin

I don't always drinks stouts, but when I do they're Russian Imperial.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout from the downtown Binny's in Chicago.

First exposure to the style and it broadened my idea of what stout could be. Came to appreciate it even more when it arrived at the 'BO a couple years later.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Young's Double Chocolate Stout, sadly.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Middle Ages Dragonslayer

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Early John by. I previously avoided stouts.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Wellington for me, too. Can't remember if it was tap or bottle but it was at Volo several years back.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

iguenard wrote:Young's Double Chocolate Stout, sadly.
You were probably disappointed due to it not actually being an Imperial Stout, as the OP asked.

Think my first imperial stout was Sam Smith's. This style was scarce in the UK back in the day. First American Imperial Stout was either Oak Aged Yeti or Port Brewing's Older Viscosity.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

Tsarina Katarina. In the same way Sgt. Major was my first great IPA experience, Katarina was my imperial stout.

It disappoints me what happened with the brewery.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Victory Storm King
and Yeti / Oak aged Yeti
Can't remember which one I had first but those are still my two favourites, with Storm King getting the edge for my purchases based on its low price. The best value beer out there in my opinion.

Also St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout on draught at Volo was my first AHH moment with a stout and gateway to the imperials.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Torontoblue wrote:
iguenard wrote:Young's Double Chocolate Stout, sadly.
You were probably disappointed due to it not actually being an Imperial Stout, as the OP asked.

Think my first imperial stout was Sam Smith's. This style was scarce in the UK back in the day. First American Imperial Stout was either Oak Aged Yeti or Port Brewing's Older Viscosity.
Noted. :)

But then again, Older Viscosity is a "Bourbon Barrel-Aged American Dark Strong Ale" according to Port Brewing. so there ;)

Imperial Stout, AH-HA moment... I'll have to go with Yeti also. I had had imperial stouts before, but this one really made me stand up and say Ah-ha.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

"First" is tough, as there were many 'firsts' for different reasons!

Frst-time 'wow' moments? -- Stone RIS, Bierefolie, Goose Bourbon, Mikkeller Weasel and Nøgne Ø. Péche Mortél was up there too - and Black Albert is insanely good. Tempest is shocking too.

In the 'Near Stouts' I have ölfabrikken Porter, Thisted Limfjords, and Beer Here Mörke.

^ Note how few American ones for my taste!
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

KwaiLo wrote:Tsarina Katarina. In the same way Sgt. Major was my first great IPA experience, Katarina was my imperial stout.

It disappoints me what happened with the brewery.
You and me both. I really enjoyed several of their beers.

John By, about 4 years ago, is my answer to the question.

A more general introduction to stout that made me say "hey, this stuff is good" would be Connors Stout. That was many years ago, perhaps the mid-nineties (around the time when some on this board were in kindergarten :) )

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Wellington was probably my first, and I do really like it. It's too bad they stopped bottling it.

It was more like an awesome, big, Wellington brew than a real 'aha' moment though.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Derek wrote:Wellington was probably my first, and I do really like it. It's too bad they stopped bottling it.

It was more like an awesome, big, Wellington brew than a real 'aha' moment though.
i actually prefer the canned version to any bottle i ever had, and its availible at the brewery all the time

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Gotta go with the Yeti as well. Great beer.