Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Contract Beers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Scottatron

Contract Beers

Post by Scottatron »

Do you guys have any personal stigma against a beer that is contract brewed at a brewery the brewer doesn't own? If the beer is great does it matter? If the brewer creating the brand brews it (such as mikkeller), does that affect your perception?

I had a conversation with a friend the other day and this came up and was wondering other peoples opinions.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

If the beer is good Scott, I'd drink it. I think that contract brewing is a good way to have product come out in areas it may not otherwise.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i have nothing against contract brewing as long as everyone is upfront about it

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

IMHO, contract brewing is benefiting the beer scene greatly. More recipes can get tried out and it helps some smaller brewers cover the costs of more sophisticated systems and even staff.

There is nothing un-authentic about it in my mind, but there are those with romantic attachments to breweries they have visited. Perhaps that's why some might turn their nose up at it.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Tapsucker wrote:IMHO, contract brewing is benefiting the beer scene greatly. More recipes can get tried out and it helps some smaller brewers cover the costs of more sophisticated systems and even staff.

There is nothing un-authentic about it in my mind, but there are those with romantic attachments to breweries they have visited. Perhaps that's why some might turn their nose up at it.
Tapsucker summed it up nicely...

Cheshire Valley, Spearhead, Indie Ale House until they're up and running, Kennsington, all great stuff...heck even the Black Creek that they make at Trafalgar is decent!

Having said that, though, I wonder if there's a saturation point.

Last year we saw an explosion in contract breweries, and I just wonder how much more Cool, Black Oak, Wellington, or whomever can brew of other people's beer.

Contract breweries are great but let's hope that is match with at least some new bricks and mortar breweries (or brewery expansions) so that growth can keep going.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Denison's Wit is the proof that contract brewing works.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It really depends on the business.

If it's a beer marketing company with a budget product, are they really doing anything but filling their wallets? I think it's these companies that have given this business model a bad name.

Now if the brews have soul, I'll certainly support them. People have already listed a bunch of great 'brewing' companies... I'll add De Struise.

If I had the time & money and was able to find a good local brewery with excess capacity, I'd certainly consider starting my own business. This might be something to consider before (early) retirement... when I'd have plenty of time, would absolutely love to do it, and could use some supplemental income (and it wouldn't be the time to dump my life savings into a brewpub). That said, I don't think my retirement will be that (early), so by that age I may be ready to sit back and drink, rather than brew.

With private liquor store sales, I'm surprised there aren't more of these popping up in places like BC. That said, I'm even more surprised people are making a run of it in Ontario. TBS and LCBO distributions are so HUGE and costly, your basically left with keg sales... and getting tap space isn't easy, unless of course you own the tap.

I guess the other 'problem' is when companies don't have the capacity in their own brewery, then contract some of their work out... but still claim it's brewed in their hometown or whatever. That sparked some interesting blogging a while ago:

http://www.madisonbeerreview.com/2009/0 ... ument.html
http://www.madisonbeerreview.com/2009/0 ... creek.html
http://www.madisonbeerreview.com/2009/0 ... pital.html
http://www.madisonbeerreview.com/2009/0 ... ughts.html

Another interesting idea is an alternating proprietorship:
http://hereticbrewing.com/blog/2010/12/ ... portunity/

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

cfrancis wrote:Denison's Wit is the proof that contract brewing works.
the canning of denisons hefe is a disaster and totally destoyed the reputation of what used to be ontarios best beer. it still drinks well on tap.

im interested in this denisons wit you speak of.....

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

matt7215 wrote:
cfrancis wrote:Denison's Wit is the proof that contract brewing works.
the canning of denisons hefe is a disaster and totally destoyed the reputation of what used to be ontarios best beer. it still drinks well on tap.

im interested in this denisons wit you speak of.....
sorry hefe. I've never had it on tap because well, it doesn't get north of the 401. I had to order a case of cans for the summer and it was damn good.

Now I want it on tap.

Scottatron

Post by Scottatron »

Cool. All really good opinions guys thanks for the replies.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i'm a music snob.
i'll still admit that i like some Tragically Hip.

if its good, who cares where its brewed?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Do I plug it in? Or do I stick it in it? :P
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

matt7215 wrote:i have nothing against contract brewing as long as everyone is upfront about it
I'd agree with this. The one case I find interesting is Hogsback. They made a big deal of it being a 'local' Ottawa beer, but I think it is brewed by Cool.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i still cannot comprehend how Cool has a brewery.

"Cool: Beer for People With Really, Really Low Self-Esteem"

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

atomeyes wrote:i still cannot comprehend how Cool has a brewery.

"Cool: Beer for People With Really, Really Low Self-Esteem"
Cool is basically just a contract brewery now anyway.....