Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

In a similar vein of honesty...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

In a similar vein of honesty...

Post by JeffPorter »

Since we're all talking about nonsense that happens in bars, I have a question about a rumour I heard quite some time ago. I heard this from the owner of one of T.O.s "Craft Beer Bars" about a year or so ago...

The rumour is that some establishments in the city advertised "cask", aren't really casks at all but just kegs run through an engine...He wouldn't tell me who did this...I've only ever heard this from him...

Is this true or just some wild rumour?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

this has happened in the past

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Does it still happen?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Wasn't there talk a few years ago about Fullers and Greene King hand pumps that served kegs under low pressure?

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic ... 4618f7197c
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

And don't forget the brewer masking brewery conditioned beer as cask, too!

There's quite a few faux cask engines knocking around, it's nothing new.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I've seen fake engines before, like they have at Twisted Kilt with the Fuller's ESB tap - but that's different. They don't pretend that it's cask ale. They're up front about it.

I'm just wondering if it's more breweries who do it or certain pubs...it'd be nice to know who to avoid. If that's going on, it's pretty slimy to be lied to as a customer.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Funny pic here:

http://www.gotham-imbiber.com/simulator.html

And I'm not sure how up to date this is, but I love the "alerts":
http://www.cask-ale.co.uk/us/on-cask-guide.html

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I love the smiley expression on the "alerts" too...although, I suspect that the fake hand pumps are really just those Fuller's ESB taps...I don't think anyone pretends they are cask conditioned.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Fairly sure this is what Kickoff has. They just call it the 'handpump', and it typically has a keg of Fuller's hooked up. They've always been sure to specify that it is NOT a cask.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

As long as it tastes good, I don't care.
saintjohnswort.ca

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

saints_gambit wrote:As long as it tastes good, I don't care.
I am really disappointed with this attitude, Jordan. No one should ever pass of keg beer as cask. Have you bought into the faux marketing of this?

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

The Royal Oak in Whitby has their Fuller's products on this system. They're open about it as well.