Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hangover Cure

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

@ Derek: I am confused by your comments about antibiotics. Are you saying that antibiotics somehow metabolize through the liver? Is that why they tell you not to drink when you are on antibiotics?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I don't know if all antibiotics are metabolized by the liver, but some certainly are.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:
Belgian wrote: It might be too much for an 'injured state' liver. Did your liver actually hurt? Did you never try milk thistle when reasonably recovered from illness?
It was a few days after I finished the antibiotics... and yeah, pain right under the ribs.
Not to be pushy, I'd try the stuff again! I've had liver issues, even slight enlargemment but never actual physical pain in the organ even when pressed very hard by the doctors.

Any medicine or herb at the wrong time can harm you, but Milk Thistle actually makes the liver's job easier because the body runs cleaner - it is a net gain. But whatever you do, here's to your health!
In Beerum Veritas

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

The best cure for me is to sweat it out and start drinking again (not necessarily in that order).

I have the usual... Advil, loads of coffee, water, Gatorade, breakfast. I'm surprised no one mentioned tomato juice or V8... these hit the spot.

Then, regardless of how rough you feel or how awful the thought of having a beer is, have a beer... do it. After having your first or second beer, you're feeling great. Start with something easy like a fruit beer or a wheat.

The other thing is do something that will get the adrenaline going, the blood flowing and makes you sweat... ride a bike, chop some wood, play Wii or Kinect (the ones that make you jump around), do a workout, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, I felt really rough from the previous night's activities so I did the usual as above then started drinking again and raked up the grass and leaves for 4 hours in the 20+ degree weather. I felt great.

The most important thing though is to try to avoid a worst hangover by drinking a lot of water before hitting the pillow. I find this to be extremely effective.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Whew-hew! I won with 65% of the vote.

Thanks everyone!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Awesome Those are the four Re's - Rehydrate, Rebalance, Remove and Reduce.

... naturally followed by Relapse, Revel & Regret.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Anyone in Vancouver on Saturday? Jon?

Say Steamworks at 6 pm? At least the first beer is on me.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I find it's the dehydration that kills me more than anything the next day, so I load up on water before I go to sleep. Seriously - I drink enough water that to drink any more would be physically uncomfortable. I'm talking multiple glasses.

I wake up the next morning, piss like a race horse, and I'm fine. Maybe not 100 percent, but at least 90. :D

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

mintjellie wrote:An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I find it's the dehydration that kills me more than anything the next day, so I load up on water before I go to sleep. Seriously - I drink enough water that to drink any more would be physically uncomfortable. I'm talking multiple glasses.

I wake up the next morning, piss like a race horse, and I'm fine. Maybe not 100 percent, but at least 90. :D
Me too. In a session I TRY(!) to remember to drink almost equal parts water to beer. I piss a lot, but it's amazing how many times that saved me...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

DAN-D-MAN wrote:The best cure for me is to sweat it out and start drinking again (not necessarily in that order).
This is a proven strategy that I use regularly. In fact it's part of the 'constitution' of an almost 80 year old organization that I have been enjoying for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers
The Constitution of the Hash House Harriers is recorded on a club registration card dated 1950:

To promote physical fitness among our members
To get rid of weekend hangovers
To acquire a good thirst and to satisfy it in beer
To persuade the older members that they are not as old as they feel
Here is the Toronto chapter:
www.hogtownh3.com

Sorry if the link is a little slow, we've been having web issues.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Had a nice meal at Steamworks with an old friend.

I wasn't fond of the Copper Roof bitter.

The Nirvana Brown was as good as ever... I had 2 pints.

They've reworked the IPA and it's REALLY good. Sort of a British flavour with a west-coast intensity. I considered grabbing a growler, but didn't feel like lugging it around with other brews.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »