Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A rumour I head...about Tempest...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

A rumour I head...about Tempest...

Post by JeffPorter »

So...I debated with myself long and hard about this about whether I should post this or not - I heard this from a beer bar manager who spoke to a rep from Amsterdam.

He said that when Tempest bottles are going to go on sale, they'll be $10

!!!!LIKE I SAY, THIS IS JUST A RUMOUR AND I REALLY HOPE I'M WRONG!!!

By comparison, I believe they were the 4.50 last year (too cheap, for that beer to be sure, but still...)

The story is that the bottle are waxed dipped (just like last year) so that's bringing the prices up...by 150%?

IF this is true, and I hope it's not - would you guys buy it at this price?

And more importantly, I get that beer's getting expensive, but this, paired with the price of Cameron's Rye IPA, it begs the question...is this the start of the OCB gouging us?

I've emailed amsterdam already to ask if this is the case.

!!!!LIKE I SAY, THIS IS JUST A SOMETHING I HEARD AND I REALLY HOPE I'M WRONG, AND MY SINCERE APOLOGIES TO AMSTERDAM, IF I AM!!!

But...if it's true... :o
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

If they were sold for $4.50 (I missed out on the first batch) that is dirt cheap and not indicative of the value of the bottles.

If I recall, they are 500 ML bottles?

By comparison, Stone IRS tends to sell for $8 or $9 for a 650 ml bottle and it is widely regarded as one of the best values out there for the style.

Given that we already know that Tempest is a word class example of the style and that we are talking about a very under-represented style in Ontario, I think it is absolutely worth $10 a bottle.

To get back to my Stone IRS example. If I drive to Buffalo to pick up a case of that beer I am likely to pay duty. $8 plus duty plus gas puts each bottle at closer to $12. So that makes them comparable per ml. And again, we are comparing Tempest to its best value counterpart south of the border.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

if Tempest in $10/bottle i will buy zero bottles

TJ

Post by TJ »

JeffPorter wrote:And more importantly, I get that beer's getting expensive, but this, paired with the price of Cameron's Rye IPA, it begs the question...is this the start of the OCB gouging us?
They can only gouge us if we let ourselves be gouged. Don't like the price, don't buy it (I wouldn't at that price.) If you do buy it then you've just become part of the problem. Frankly, if people are willing to pay that then from a business perspective Amsterdam would be stupid to charge any less.

I have no idea what it costs to brew, bottle and package this beer so I would really need to know what the markup is like in order to know if it's a fair price. I can't imagine it was particularly lucrative at $4.50.

Also one brewery charging more than we'd like for one of their beers and a rumour that another might do the same hardly seems worth raising an alarm over.

As an aside, I would pay more for one without the wax. It was a fucking nightmare to get off.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Quite the price jump. I've never had this beer but have heard tons about it. At the $4.50 price tag I'd consider buying an entire case. At $10.00 I'd only be getting six. One to try right away, a few to try couple months down the road, and then the final couple to cellar. Interested to see how many those of you who have bought this in the past plan to pick it up if this price is true.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

matt7215 wrote:if Tempest in $10/bottle i will buy zero bottles
Is that because you don't think Tempest is good enough to justify the price tag, because of the price jump or because you don't think 500ml of any beer is worth $10?

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

When is this usually released?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Is that because you don't think Tempest is good enough to justify the price tag, because of the price jump or because you don't think 500ml of any beer is worth $10?
Not to speak for Matt, but have we EVER had a 500ml bottle anywhere near $10 in the province?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I'll likely still buy a few. At 4.50, I was planning to buy 4-5 bottles. At $10, I'll probably buy two, because I really enjoy the beer.

The price jump is a bit surprising, but I suspect they will likely still sell out, if just a bit slower.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JeffPorter wrote:Not to speak for Matt, but have we EVER had a 500ml bottle anywhere near $10 in the province?
Mill Street Barley Wine. Last year's edition was $11.95/500 ml - although a good chunk of that likely covered the cost of the ceramic bottle.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

It's only been released once before, at the Pints of March brewery market event I heard "soon".

When it is released I'm sure it will sell out in 2 days and lead to much wailing and gnashing of teeth by those who didn't get it, and demands for limits to this unruly aspect of the free market
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TJ wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:And more importantly, I get that beer's getting expensive, but this, paired with the price of Cameron's Rye IPA, it begs the question...is this the start of the OCB gouging us?
Also one brewery charging more than we'd like for one of their beers and a rumour that another might do the same hardly seems worth raising an alarm over.
True. More me musing aloud. I didn't mean to raise an alarm, and again, I hope I'm wrong.

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

TJ wrote:They can only gouge us if we let ourselves be gouged. Don't like the price, don't buy it (I wouldn't at that price.) If you do buy it then you've just become part of the problem. Frankly, if people are willing to pay that then from a business perspective Amsterdam would be stupid to charge any less.
Agreed. They're not gouging us, we're gouging ourselves.

I read about various limited releases and the hype that goes with them. I don't disagree with concept and I'm sure the "events" are fun as long as there is some kind of entertainment associated with it. But hype for hype's sake is a bit bogus. It might be VERY good beer... but it's beer.

Sil

Post by Sil »

I bought around 12 last year. If it's $10 a bottle, I'll probably only buy 1 to do a side by side with my one remaining bottle from last year It's a lovely beer, but that wax is more of a nuisance than a benefit (seriously, getting to the beer is a challenge!) and $10 is a lot of dosh for 500ml.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Tempest isnt worth $10 a 500ml

of the all RIS's ive tried i have it rated T-54 of 66

Tempest is good for this province but thats about it