Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

beer at the ballpark

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Malcolm wrote:So there's hope...? I know Philly has a great beer selection.
Safeco Field in Seattle from what I remember has an awesome selection of food and beer.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I will be in Minnesota in August to see a couple of ball games and from what I hear, Surly has a beer stand at Target Field now ... looking forward to that :)

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:I will be in Minnesota in August to see a couple of ball games and from what I hear, Surly has a beer stand at Target Field now ... looking forward to that :)
yup, and it even pours a beer that's exclusive to the location - bandwagon ipa.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

grub wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:I will be in Minnesota in August to see a couple of ball games and from what I hear, Surly has a beer stand at Target Field now ... looking forward to that :)
yup, and it even pours a beer that's exclusive to the location - bandwagon ipa.
Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure to try that one. Now for the more important task - convincing my non-craft beer drinking friends to take a trip out to the brewery.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Argh. Reading all these replies about great beer choices in the U.S. frustrate the hell out of me, given the shitty choices we have at the RC. I mean, I saw a Mad Tom empty in the Lansdowne subway Friday night - craft beer is everywhere!

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

I suppose from an objective point of view this shows how we're still quite a few years behind the US in terms of the reach of craft beer. Incidentally I can't think of a bar in Hamilton that has the Jays games on TV and serves craft beer as well either.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Malcolm wrote:Argh. Reading all these replies about great beer choices in the U.S. frustrate the hell out of me, given the shitty choices we have at the RC. I mean, I saw a Mad Tom empty in the Lansdowne subway Friday night - craft beer is everywhere!
Call it The Skydome! It will never be Rogers Centre as far as I'm concerned.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

The only sporting events I've watched in the states have been at Ford Field and Comerica Park in Detroit. Both have bad beer, even in the private lounge at Ford Field it was still BMC, but better liquor choices. The best at Comerica is Leinenkugel, when I went it was the Summer Shandy and Sunset Wheat, neither of which I enjoyed.

Don't know if I'll be going to any MLB games in the states this year, may check out a AAA game, either Buffalo or Rochester if we plan a beer trip to one of those places.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Kish84 wrote:The only sporting events I've watched in the states have been at Ford Field and Comerica Park in Detroit. Both have bad beer, even in the private lounge at Ford Field it was still BMC, but better liquor choices. The best at Comerica is Leinenkugel, when I went it was the Summer Shandy and Sunset Wheat, neither of which I enjoyed.

Don't know if I'll be going to any MLB games in the states this year, may check out a AAA game, either Buffalo or Rochester if we plan a beer trip to one of those places.
There's a super small Atwater Block stall at Comerica as well, but I hear you. With all the awesome product brewed in and around Detroit (not to mention the rest of the state), the showing is pretty shameful.

The sitch at the Dome is so sad, because - in all honesty - I'd go to at least half a dozen more Blue Jays games a season if they had even Stem Whistle (not to mention others) available.

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

Kish84 wrote:The only sporting events I've watched in the states have been at Ford Field and Comerica Park in Detroit. Both have bad beer, even in the private lounge at Ford Field it was still BMC, but better liquor choices. The best at Comerica is Leinenkugel, when I went it was the Summer Shandy and Sunset Wheat, neither of which I enjoyed.

Consumers now has a stand at the Buffalo ballpark offering draft beer. I haven't been to a game yet this year so I don't know what they're offering, but since you could already get Great Lakes (Ohio) last year, I would imagine they have to tasty selections.

-rudy

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

rudolf wrote:Consumers now has a stand at the Buffalo ballpark offering draft beer. I haven't been to a game yet this year so I don't know what they're offering, but since you could already get Great Lakes (Ohio) last year, I would imagine they have to tasty selections.

-rudy
That's awesome to hear! Hopefully the rumors about the Bison possibly becoming the Jays AAA affiliates next season come true.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Kish84 wrote:
rudolf wrote:Consumers now has a stand at the Buffalo ballpark offering draft beer. I haven't been to a game yet this year so I don't know what they're offering, but since you could already get Great Lakes (Ohio) last year, I would imagine they have to tasty selections.

-rudy
That's awesome to hear! Hopefully the rumors about the Bison possibly becoming the Jays AAA affiliates next season come true.
If that happens I will be going to a lot of Bisons games next year.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure to try that one. Now for the more important task - convincing my non-craft beer drinking friends to take a trip out to the brewery.
try to get on the tour - even non-beer geeks tend to like those. i believe they still run on friday evening. they fill up quick though, so keep an eye out for your block to open up. bunch of info/schedule/faq/signup here: http://surlybrewing.com/brewery/tours.html

if you need any other MN suggestions, let me know. lived there for 5 years and whenever i go back there's never enough time to hit all our favourite spots.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

grub wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure to try that one. Now for the more important task - convincing my non-craft beer drinking friends to take a trip out to the brewery.
try to get on the tour - even non-beer geeks tend to like those. i believe they still run on friday evening. they fill up quick though, so keep an eye out for your block to open up. bunch of info/schedule/faq/signup here: http://surlybrewing.com/brewery/tours.html

if you need any other MN suggestions, let me know. lived there for 5 years and whenever i go back there's never enough time to hit all our favourite spots.
Thanks. I will let you know.

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

going to a jays game in a couple weeks, hoping it's cool or raining so i can wear a hoody and sneak some cans in my hood.