Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Local Best Brews - Nice!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Local Best Brews - Nice!

Post by Tapsucker »

I just booked a room at the Sheraton in Halifax and I noticed they are promoting a corporate program called Best Brews. It appears they are promoting local craft beer in their hotels now. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they pull this off. It's a great idea that I think any and all in the travel industry should embrace.

It reminds me how about 15 years ago I was flying into NYC (I don't remember what airline) and when I ordered a beer, the steward apologized and told me they were only serving beer from these weird little NYC breweries as part of a tourist promotion. After I explained to him why he need not apologize, I enjoyed an awesome in flight sample session. The person next to me was taking notes and addresses of breweries to go visit.

Every time I'm on an AC flight (which I try and avoid, but can't always) it irritates me when they pull out cans of coors and Canadian. Such a lost opportunity...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

FAIL!

The one and only "Local Craft Beer" on tap is, drumroll please...

...you will have to guess and then wash your brain out with soap.

Seriously, my guess is some junior marketing person came up with a great idea and took it to their boss who said leave it with me. Then the boss called up AB/Inbev or whatever they're called now and said "can you fill an order and send me some market development funds?"

Cynical shit like this just took this hotel chain off my shopping list when I travel. A good idea really badly executed, and we all know execution is number one in the hospitality industry.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

By contrast the last two hotels that I stayed in down south had full-on craft beer pubs as their main lobby bars. I know it gets said all the time, but we really do have a LONG way to go.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Last couple hotels I stayed at:

Best Western in Stowe/Waterbury - Magic Hat, Switchback and Long trail on Tap

Le Nouvel in montreal - 2 Brasseur de Montreal taps.

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

Even the shitty restaurant attached to the best western in downtown detroit has 5 or six craft taps