Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The 5 craft beer personality types

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Iceman

The 5 craft beer personality types

Post by Iceman »

I think I would fall under the Beer Populists category, what about you guys?

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/i ... ity_t.html
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Beer Geek with occasional moments of Know It All? :)

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Populist with a dose of beer geek.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Depends who I'm drinking with. Beer geek when surrounded by knowledgeable aficionados; populist when I'm with my non-beer geek friends.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Beer Populist.

I admire a beer geek would aspire to be one, but I have too many demands on my time to justify it.

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

I'm whichever one that likes to get drunk and make inappropriate phone calls to your sister.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Given everyone is different - even those who fall into the same alleged category - I think it's difficult to place people in the various slots.

My main interest in beer is its flavour - I try to drink beers with the ideal flavour for the style. So I learn about them to seek them out. A secondary interest, but one which has gained in the last 10 years, is beer and brewing history. Many craft beer fans are captivated by that side of it. This makes sense since the best imports, and craft beers in general, often advertise their adherence to tradition. So I learned about tradition to understand what should be good, or at least, interesting.

I don't feel I have to taste everything - most beers don't end up pleasing in any case - it's enough to find an excellent example of a style and stick with it.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm such a Geek that I'm actually going to propose a subclassification for the Beer Geek definition...

Here's a Geek Hierarchy that I find amusing:

Geek - Understands, creates & fixes 'really cool stuff'.
Nerd - Understands & collects 'really cool stuff'.
Dork - Confused by 'really cool stuff'.

And I think it works for beer.

The die-hard geek is obsessive about all the technical things. They'll dissect every aspect of a brew and take detailed notes. Think "homebrewer".

The beer nerd has a good understanding of all the different styles and is obsessive about 'ticking' as many samples as possible. Think "comic book collector".

The beer dork aspires to be accepted by all the nerds, but only has a very basic understanding of the topic. That's not to say that they're dumb, they're just very eager, but inexperienced. Think "that guy in the office that has read a short article on craft beer, picked up a few different samples, then spouted off about how crazy these wildly different beers are (though they're actually timeless classic styles)."

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Populist with a shot of geek for the homebrewing aspect and wanting to try everything but I don't make notes nor dissect beer.
lister

Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

I love the 5 categories. Well put! Beer Populist
A walk of a thousand miles begins with a single step

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

lister wrote:Populist with a shot of geek for the homebrewing aspect and wanting to try everything but I don't make notes nor dissect beer.

That's about where I am at. Though I do take notes sometimes, especially on rarer stuff
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

icemachine wrote:That's about where I am at. Though I do take notes sometimes, especially on rarer stuff
If a beer makes that much of an impression on me I don't need notes. It's burned into my brain. And if I start to get forgetful? Well, it's "new" beer to discover! :-D
lister

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

lister wrote:Populist with a shot of geek for the homebrewing aspect and wanting to try everything but I don't make notes nor dissect beer.
This is also me.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Populist first, Geek 2nd, and while I try hard not to be a know it all, I sometimes slip up...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

im not any of those things