Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The 5 craft beer personality types

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Probably a beer populist with a healthy dose of Derek's "beer nerd" and "beer geek" sub-classifications.

Not a home brewer, but I've taken detailed notes on about 95% of the beers I've had in the last 5 years, despite rarely uploading them to RB or BA and I collect everything I can beer related. I'm also a physiology geek, so I read a lot related to both yeast/bacteria physiology as it realtes to beer and health related benfits and harms associated with beer consumption.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Somewhat of a Populist. I'll take notes, but nothing over the top. If I like a beer, I'll drink it again, and I won't go nuts looking for a Dark Lord or a Kaggen (though maybe I should....)

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

No entry for Neo-maxi-zoom-dweebie?

Didn't we learn anything about faux archetypes from the Breakfast Club?
saintjohnswort.ca

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

They forgot the 6th category to which I belong. Complete assholes.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

SteelbackGuy wrote:They forgot the 6th category to which I belong. Complete assholes.
Hahahaha....amazing! :D

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I guess Beer Geek would be closest, though I have no interest in:

- trying every beer (gimme a break)
- attending festivals (YUCK!)
- taking copious notes (that's just lame)

I like brewing good beer, learning about brewing, sharing good beer with other people, and sharing my own knowledge under the right setting (ie; when others ask for it).

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

markaberrant wrote:I guess Beer Geek would be closest, though I have no interest in:

- trying every beer (gimme a break)
- attending festivals (YUCK!)
- taking copious notes (that's just lame)

I like brewing good beer, learning about brewing, sharing good beer with other people, and sharing my own knowledge under the right setting (ie; when others ask for it).
So that makes you a die-hard/hardcore Geek! :wink:

I definitely have some "beer nerd" tendencies as well.

It's interesting how 'geek' has become somewhat cool in our increasingly technological world.

Years ago I had an online debate with one of the Alström bros about the modern definition of the term. They vehemently disagreed and basically finished the argument with "If you want to be called a geek, go ahead". Now it seems they've somewhat embraced the term though.

As for "nerd", I think it's still largely considered derogatory. That said, some of us certainly have an obsession with this obscure hobby and 'collect' as many brews as we can find. Socializing at festivals is great fun too! If we were talking about comic books, fantasy and/or science-fiction, we'd most certainly be labelled "nerds". But if the topic was sports, we'd be considered jocks, or simply just one of the guys (even girls). Though I have to say, there are a few 'sports enthusiasts' who don't appear to have gotten off their couch for quite some time. They're certainly not 'jocks'... I'd call them sports nerds. :wink:

Interesting aside,

"An alternate spelling, as nurd, also began to appear in the mid-1960s or early '70s.[10] Author Philip K. Dick claimed to have coined this spelling in 1973, but its first recorded use appeared in a 1965 student publication at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.[11][12] Oral tradition there holds that the word is derived from "knurd" ("drunk" spelled backwards), which was used to describe people who studied rather than partied." - wikipedia

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Looking back at my comments, I hope they don't come off as a 'know it all'... I certainly have opinions, but I'm also aware that they are very subjective.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

A few thoughts:

- In Derek's breakdown I'd fall under "Nerd," as I currently have no desire to create or fix beer. I'm happy to keep exploring great beer without the miserable failures, constant tweaking, and substantial volume that can accompany homebrewing. But I admire anyone who can tolerate these things and I'm sure the first two make the successes that much sweeter.

- Despite mostly conforming to the Geek/Nerd profiles, I don't aspire to sample every beer out there. I've even gotten away from seeking out the top-rated beers on BA/RB.

- Given that this is a craft beer message board (about as nerdy as it gets), and in light of all the complaints I read about "loud music" at bars, I'm surprised by the number of Populist-only responses. I think of a beer populist as a person who is not only capable of introducing average folks to good beer and listening to their thoughts, but also someone who is willing to go where non-beer geeks hang out. Places like WVRST or Bier Markt King West on a Friday or Saturday night. I say this because many of my friends cringe at the thought of sitting in a quiet pub on the weekend, but if I bring them to a place that has music, serves good beer, and you can stand or even dance, it's usually the perfect opportunity to introduce them to some new beers.

- To the folks who refuse to be labeled/pigeon-holed, I think the article is mostly just fun and games. No need to take it too seriously.

- Some good discussion can be found here: http://ow.ly/bLytf. I laughed really hard at cavedave's cheeky description of the author (even though it's firmly anti-label): "The Beer-Enthusiast Categorizer - Feels the need to pick out common eccentricities about beer drinkers and to give them names. Often feels enmity to one group or another. Usually tries to fill overly wordy treatises with what the categorizer believes are insightful observations, but which often are just ill informed prejudices. Loves to be center stage taking shots at the different groups analyzed, but usually is the most boring person in the room." :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Are you guys seriously having an internet nerd discussion about the origin of the term nerd? That's like shooting irony in the kneecap.
saintjohnswort.ca

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

saints_gambit wrote:Are you guys seriously having an internet nerd discussion about the origin of the term nerd? That's like shooting irony in the kneecap.
Best comment of the day! :D

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

cratez wrote:
- Given that this is a craft beer message board (about as nerdy as it gets), and in light of all the complaints I read about "loud music" at bars, I'm surprised by the number of Populist-only responses. I think of a beer populist as a person who is not only capable of introducing average folks to good beer and listening to their thoughts, but also someone who is willing to go where non-beer geeks hang out. Places like WVRST or Bier Markt King West on a Friday or Saturday night. I say this because many of my friends cringe at the thought of sitting in a quiet pub on the weekend, but if I bring them to a place that has music, serves good beer, and you can stand or even dance, it's usually the perfect opportunity to introduce them to some new beers.
I think you are mashing up a few good points here.

Yes it's nice to go for a pint of good beer and be able to have a conversation, just like it's nice to be able to hear a band or dance and have a good pint. Each has their place. Personally when I also plan to eat, I like to be able to hear and talk, so I choose to eat in places that are not too loud. I also find it perplexing that anybody would want to sit down to a nice meal in a loud place, just like I am usually in no mood for a gourmet dinner when I'm dancing to a band.

Somewhere in here I'd also like to point out the pleasure in going out for a pint and striking up a conversation with complete strangers. I travel a lot and when I can get to a place that serves craft beer, I take pleasure in meeting locals. Good beer is important to me as are good people. It just so happens, that usually, the two can be found together.

Here in Toronto, I can enjoy my homebrew or cellared treasures or step out and enjoy a pint at, say Volo, and maybe catch a few BT'ers debating if they are beer nerds. :P

And for the record, I would probably fit Connoisseur Asshole.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.