Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Summer Books: What are you guys reading right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

munrets wrote:Just finished Jeff Lemire's "The Underwater Welder."

It was okay, but nowhere near Essex County. That book was full of genuine sadness, rivalling the best work by Chris Ware.
Is this a new Jeff Lemire book? Do you read sweettooth?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

munrets

Post by munrets »

[quote="JeffPorter"][quote="munrets"]Just finished Jeff Lemire's "The Underwater Welder."

It was okay, but nowhere near Essex County. That book was full of genuine sadness, rivalling the best work by Chris Ware.[/quote]

Is this a new Jeff Lemire book? Do you read sweettooth?[/quote]

Yup, just came out last week, I believe.

And Sweet Tooth is great but I'm way behind. JM is a pretty prolific guy what with his DC stuff and all.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

the quiet american - GG

enjoying the writing far more than the story. which is just fine.

current toilet book: how many licks - aaron santos

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Bilionaire's Vinegar, an intereasting & suspenseful story of fraud and counterfeiting in the world of rare and vintage beverages.

Apparently a movie is on the way with some guy named Brad (Pitt?) and it's produced by a certain Will Smith who bought the film rights.
In Beerum Veritas

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I've been on a historical fiction kick lately. Read "London" by Edward Rutherfurd, "Marco Polo" ( book was rather forgetable which may be why I can't think of the authors' name ) and am currently working on "Texas" by James A Michener.

I will be looking for a better book on Marco Polo soon. A fascinating man but the book I read was terribly written and told only a small portion of his story.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

wheat belly

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Thanks to my eight-year-old I'm now fully addicted to the second "Percy Jackson" series of books!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Well, summer's over, but I'm still reading. Currently:
-It's Only a Movie (Mark Kermode) - hilarious and insightful, recommended for film fans.
-Cyclopedia (William Fotheringham) - not so much reading straight through as it's more of a bedside book, but still enjoying an entry or two every evening.
-Halloween: Pagan Festival to Trick or Treat (Mark Oxbrow) - formatted as a sort of textbook, it is nevertheless a fascinating and authoritative read for anyone interested in a thorough history of the modern festival.