Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam to move in the fall

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

grub wrote:
atomeyes wrote:i second it. its better than Mill Street and may age nicely. its a very nice first attempt. its not up there with Half Pints in Winnipeg, but its something to be very proud of.
hehe, it'd be hard NOT to make a barleywine better than mill st... the first couple years they made it (back when it was still in stubbys) were the only ones worth drinking - not to mention paying a ridiculous premium now just for the fancy bottles.

i'd also have to politely disagree on declaring it far lesser than burlywine as i'd say it's at least as good as my memory of it, but i might just have to do a side-by-side comparison.
i had burleywine that was cellared for 2-3 years, so its not necessarily a fair comparison. also only tried yours at the Brickworks, when it was sweltering outside and not the best barley wine weather.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

atomeyes wrote:i had burleywine that was cellared for 2-3 years, so its not necessarily a fair comparison. also only tried yours at the Brickworks, when it was sweltering outside and not the best barley wine weather.
yeah, gotta go apples to apples to make it a fair comparison. my memory of the base burlywine is stronger than that of the BA version, but i'd have considered Iain and Eric's BA BW right up there with the best of the best.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Yello to Mello wrote:On another note, apparently their Sleeping Giant barley wine is releasing tomorrow.
It was horrible... no one should buy any. Until after I get mine.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

440 bottles, all sold out. Wah waaah.

Welcome to the next frickin' age of craft beer in Canada, gentlemen.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Wow- already gone? I was planning on swinging by after work. I guess that it is not going to happen now...
Ren

Yello to Mello

Post by Yello to Mello »

boney wrote:440 bottles, all sold out. Wah waaah.

Welcome to the next frickin' age of craft beer in Canada, gentlemen.
Yes, I went there yesterday around the time you posted this before 5pm. The guy said he didnt even see them there when he came in that day....lol I brother said they had 6 left an hour before but never asked where he got that info. I needed to return some empties and get more blonde regardless.
The Maple Leaf Lounge (Canadian whisky forum): http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com/forum ... .php?f=204

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i was majorly pissed. i called them at noon to see if it was out yet. no one was answering the phone.
called again. one of those strange busy signals.
called an hour later - still got that strange busy signal.

got through at 4ish and they told me they just sold out. if i would have known, i would have biked down there earlier in the day.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

atomeyes wrote:i was majorly pissed. i called them at noon to see if it was out yet. no one was answering the phone.
called again. one of those strange busy signals.
called an hour later - still got that strange busy signal.

got through at 4ish and they told me they just sold out. if i would have known, i would have biked down there earlier in the day.
they tweeted the day before that it was going on sale at 11am, and again at 11am on day of sale to say that it was available in the brewery store "NOW". I'd have thought that more than enough to know it was out. the tweets also mentioned that quantities would be limited...
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Amsterdam finally announced official details of their upcoming move today, and as strongly rumoured, they will be opening the new brewery in the Leaside area in November.

Even bigger news, however, is the additional announcement that they will be opening a massive brewpub and retail store next May, right on the lake at 245 Queens Quay West (currently Pier 4 Storehouse, just west of Harbourfront Centre).

Full details: http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2012/09 ... t-brewpub/

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

GregClow wrote:Even bigger news, however, is the additional announcement that they will be opening a massive brewpub and retail store next May, right on the lake at 245 Queens Quay West (currently Pier 4 Storehouse, just west of Harbourfront Centre).
Excellent, excellent news. Happy to hear that they'll have all the seasonals/one-offs/etc. at the brewpub.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

velovampire wrote:Excellent, excellent news. Happy to hear that they'll have all the seasonals/one-offs/etc. at the brewpub.
Good news indeed. It makes the loss of the current location not such a big deal, for me at least!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

That's great for Amsterdam. It makes them less of an exile to the 'Burbs of Obscurity (with the brewpub taking over the Pier 4 Storehouse Restaurant location) while giving their main production freeway access that facilitates the day-to-day runnings.

Good for them. I'm ecstatic if there's good things new happening on Harborfront, because I'd usually never think of eatiing down there. Horrorfront, sterile and ugly with condos, is mainly just good for the odd stroll to remember downtown Toronto does have a lake even if it's nearly obscured by cash-grabby development! That plus the Cooper St. LC and the ferry are still worthwhile.

Now, parking on the other hand... Toronto hates to make that easy anywhere, and the Quay doesn't want your car at all without a second mortgage and lien on your first born. Just walk or TTC down there, I guess... we'll figure it out, just bring the good food and beer Amsterdam!
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Belgian wrote:That's great for Amsterdam. It makes them less of an exile to the 'Burbs of Obscurity (with the brewpub taking over the Pier 4 Storehouse Restaurant location) while giving their main production freeway access that facilitates the day-to-day runnings.

Good for them. I'm ecstatic if there's good things new happening on Harborfront, because I'd usually never think of eatiing down there. Horrorfront, sterile and ugly with condos, is mainly just good for the odd stroll to remember downtown Toronto does have a lake even if it's nearly obscured by cash-grabby development! That plus the Cooper St. LC and the ferry are still worthwhile.

Now, parking on the other hand... Toronto hates to make that easy anywhere, and the Quay doesn't want your car at all without a second mortgage and lien on your first born. Just walk or TTC down there, I guess... we'll figure it out, just bring the good food and beer Amsterdam!
BTW - I recently visited Against The Grain near Sugar Beach. They had an OK-ish beer selection and not bad food. The patio was ideal except for the loud music and the warship blocking the view of the lake. I'd also say the service was a mess of people who did not know their product or the beer they were serving, but meh, that's a corporate pub for you. The place is promising, though, if they tune it a bit...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.