Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam to move in the fall

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Iceman

Amsterdam to move in the fall

Post by Iceman »

I just read this article that says Amsterdam will be moving to a larger location in the fall. Hopefully the bigger facility will give them opportunities to create more one offs.

http://whatsbrewingontario.wordpress.co ... -the-move/
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Glad that this might give them greater capacity, but I have to admit from a convenience stand point, I like where they are as it's easy to get to them before zipping out of town.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

I agree with you about the current location's convenience. Since my wife and I go to Chinatown fairly often, the current location is great for me.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I know where they're moving to, but I don't know if I'm supposed to talk about it.

Suffice it to say I'm a little worried about what it will do to their walk-in sales. I mean, the additional space is a good thing, but just about any location would be a step down from where they were located in terms of ability to connect with a demographically young public.

The extra space should be good for an expanded barrel aging program.
saintjohnswort.ca

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Representatives from Amsterdam have confirmed that the move has been in the works for a while and instigated by their desire to increase their capacity.

Not what I heard, which was that the lease could not be renewed due to condos going in. I also agree the new location isn't exactly walk-in friendly, however Great Lakes doesn't have the best of walk-in locations yet thrive, so I think (hope) Amsterdam should be ok.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

In all fairness, I have heard this is not a decision they made but one of being 'evicted'. It will not be a downtown location, which might be bad for the 'cycle to a six pack' crowd they have supported so well. On the other hand, they have been totally awesome when it comes to various forms of community support and I hope the new location creates even more opportunities.

Recently they have been cranking out beers that I really want to drink (thanks!) but for a long time I was buying their product just because they were a good bunch of people that deserved support. I am pleased to see these spirits can come together and I might finally be able to cycle over to pick up a six in my 'hood!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It was cool you could park there without any BS. I'll miss that.

And it's just so 'Toronto' that condos have to completely take over and make the harborfront even more crass and ugly.
In Beerum Veritas

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I like Amsterdam, but that was not an attractive building.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Please move to the east end. Please move to the east end. Please move to the east end.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

I'm hoping they move to the west end, but if it doesn't at least I have Great Lakes and Black Oak within 5 mins from my house.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Iceman wrote:I'm hoping they move to the west end, but if it doesn't at least I have Great Lakes and Black Oak within 5 mins from my house.
Plus Cool is out that way too - keep us posted on this exciting brewery.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Brampton!!!! :D
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I checked with the folks at the brewery and they said I can confirm that they are moving to Leaside.

It's going to be sort of on Laird just north of the Millwood rail bridge, according to Iain McOustra.

They'll have additional space for new products and, according to Blake Van Delft, who is their PR person, the new brewery will have a higher total output.

I don't know whether it will work out demographically in the way that they want. I grew up about three blocks from there, so I have an idea of the area. A lot of their sales are sort of walk in or bike in currently. Leaside is pretty toney, and the population are sort of 30-40 somethines with young children with a smattering of elderly folks. It's nowhere near as population dense as the location they're in now. Thorncliffe is the next nearest neighbourhood, and it is sort of a neighbourhood that new immigrants tend to settle in. There's some population density, but I don't know how it will play, since it's a relatively low income neighbourhood because these are folks who are just getting on their feet. You've also got East York, which might be really good for them.

I may play with breaking the demographic numbers down on the blog at some point.

We'll see what happens. They may have to look at revamping their lineup a little bit to take advantage of local tastes. Maybe people will go over there to pick stuff up. It's a bit of a slog to get there by transit. Basically the Leaside 56 from Eglinton or Donlands and the Leaside 88 from St. Clair.

There's an upside. If you go there, you can also go to Olde Yorke Fish and Chips, which is pretty bitchin'.
saintjohnswort.ca

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

At first glace, from my point of view, I don't like the location at all. I hope it works out for them though..

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

Damn it! I was hoping they were moving to Windsor.