Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Is this as lively as it gets?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Wray77

Is this as lively as it gets?

Post by Wray77 »

Over 300,000 registered users, but I only see a handful of names posting. Is this is the place to be for passionate beer fans living in Ontario? Things are getting better, but we're still beer starved here imo. So I'm shocked to see serving sizes and real estate dominate the thread of a new (hopefully) promising brewer.

Sure this is just another frustrated beer drinker rant, but humor me. I'm hoping for fireworks but I'm expecting crickets.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

what would you like to talk about Wray?

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

I'd like to talk about how few and far between passionate beer drinkers who use message boards are in this province.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Check out BeerAdvocate as well. Twitter is pretty lively on the Ontario craft beer front also.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Wray77 wrote:I'd like to talk about how few and far between passionate beer drinkers who use message boards are in this province.
thank god for that!!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Wray77 wrote:I'd like to talk about how few and far between passionate beer drinkers who use message boards are in this province.
I have no idea what this means... doesn't sound like anything I'd like to discuss.

Would you rather I throw around insults and witty, cocky arrogance in response to the typical whiny Upper Canada postings about the government not having a store on every street corner containing every beer on the ratebeer and beeradvocate top 100 at a price of $6/bomber? I haven't done that for awhile...

Yello to Mello

Post by Yello to Mello »

Many of those users are bots trying to register. There are also a lot of people like me that don't post as frequent. Why? Because I post on other forums as well...too busy, perhaps enjoy fine beers but not even close as passionate as some of the frequent members. I enjoy whisky and wine just as much.
The Maple Leaf Lounge (Canadian whisky forum): http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com/forum ... .php?f=204

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Wray77 wrote:Over 300,000 registered users
As Yello suggests, the vest majority of those supposed "users" are actually spambots that have registered but haven't been approved. Check out any long-standing phpBB-based forum and you'll probably see the same thing.

And if you don't think the forum is lively enough now, be thankful that you weren't here 10 or so years ago, when you'd be lucky to see 1 or 2 posts a week...

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

Well I guess that explains the state of craft beer in Ontario.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Lively debate often gets met with curmudegeonly responses amongst the beer geek set as well. Almost everyone on this site, as well most other nerd alert beer sites, have been guilty of it at one time or another, myself included.

I say we change the name of this site from The Bar Towel to Curmudgeonly Old Men Who Like to Crab About Everything and Also Occasionally Drink Craft Beer. :wink:

Now get off my lawn!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Wray77 wrote:Well I guess that explains the state of craft beer in Ontario.
tell me what you would like to discuss......what happens on this site has very little to do with what is actually happening in ontario

most people on this site are very passionate about craft beer but most of us have realized that talking amongst ourselves does do very much

preaching to the choir

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

I'm simply using The Bar Towel to gauge the popularity of, and passion for, craft beer in Ontario.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

You might try to use a measuring cup to gauge your height, but it would be the wrong tool for the question you're asking.

Milos

Post by Milos »

I think that numbers indicating annual growth of craft beer sales in LCBO and the ever growing number of breweries and beers available in Ontario are pretty good indicators. Beer is meant to be enjoyed in a company of like minded people.
It is our choice to either be happy or unhappy with our lives.
I don't need online discussion to tell me what I see every day with my own eyes: This is the best time to drink craft beer in this province!!
You can either choose to like it, drink it, and support your local breweries by purchasing their beers, or you can can go online whine about it all not being good enough.
Choice is yours.
I LOVE EVERY DAY this summer.
So many beers and so little time!!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'lively', but I like that there's a fairly strong signal-to-noise ratio here.

It's great to hear from the media, publicans and brewers as well.

But this doesn't sound like the tool you're looking for. You might want to check out:
http://www.brewers.ca/en/brewstats