Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Is this as lively as it gets?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

boney wrote:Fuuuuck, people. The OP's original post was pretty inocuous but has brought up a lot of bile. I know it's easy to be dickish on the interwebs, but why be a dick at all? If I was a newbie or a 30 year veteran of craft beer, I wouldn't want to sit down and have a pint with anyone who was half as smug and condescending as some of the posts in this thread....and it doesn't have anything to do with "how thick" anyones skin is. Not to say I wouldn't have a pint with anyone in this thread, I've never met a BT'er I didn't like, just that I would politely excuse myself and come back when their mood improved.

It's only beer. Just sit back, relax and enjoy.

Wray77, I hope you stick around and keep contributing to interesting discussions here.
Jay, this isn't the first thread Wray77 has started slaying the beer scene in Toronto. It's their favourite subject. And they haven't really added anything to the thread except little sound bites. They got what they wanted with the troll of a post and is now sitting alone laughing.

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

markaberrant wrote:
boney wrote:It's only beer. Just sit back, relax and enjoy.
I got the impression that the OP wants to do the exact opposite of this.

#ontariocraftbeerrulez #shoutitfromtherooftop
Relax don't worry, have a home brew. Thanks Boney, I will. I'm sorry I gave anyone the wrong impression other than being curious about the amount of people I'd find on the #1 Ontario beer forum (based on unofficial kilocare numbers)

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

markaberrant wrote:
boney wrote:It's only beer. Just sit back, relax and enjoy.
I got the impression that the OP wants to do the exact opposite of this.

#ontariocraftbeerrulez #shoutitfromtherooftop
It can be hard to gauge intent on the internet......baiting vs earnestness. I tend to give the benefit of the doubt. If I took the bait, shame on me. Otherwise, I stand by everyone just chilling out.

Edit.....writing while Wray77 was posting just before me. Ha.

Edit Edit....and was in writing while Sid was posting. Didn't do a search of previous posts. I'm just damn lazy. And maybe I did bite, who knows (shame on moi, if so). Appologies to any I've ofended and not trying to pick on anyone individually. I just dig colleagiality and don't dig conflict.

Stop fighting, mom and dad! (curls up in fetal position and covers ears). :wink:
Last edited by boney on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

Torontoblue wrote: Jay, this isn't the first thread Wray77 has started slaying the beer scene in Toronto. It's their favourite subject. And they haven't really added anything to the thread except little sound bites. They got what they wanted with the troll of a post and is now sitting alone laughing.
It's Ontario, not just Toronto and I don't apologize for wanting a better selection of better beer. I'm sorry if I haven't added anything, I've been trying to bite my tongue for the most part. Some folks have been nice, but as I expected, there's also been the typical message board crowd. Believe me the only thing I'm laughing at is the audacity of some posters.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Wray77 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote: Jay, this isn't the first thread Wray77 has started slaying the beer scene in Toronto. It's their favourite subject. And they haven't really added anything to the thread except little sound bites. They got what they wanted with the troll of a post and is now sitting alone laughing.
It's Ontario, not just Toronto and I don't apologize for wanting a better selection of better beer. I'm sorry if I haven't added anything, I've been trying to bite my tongue for the most part. Some folks have been nice, but as I expected, there's also been the typical message board crowd. Believe me the only thing I'm laughing at is the audacity of some posters.
Well, you've also displayed the 'typical' message board mentality, so what do you expect? TROLL!!! And I would say that to your face....I'm not just taking part in the Internet Special Olympics!

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

Can you point out my crimes?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Not that I can really add to what everyone else has said, but...

I'm just thankful that I'm a small part of a community (all be it online) that I can discuss stuff with find out information, and every once and a while meet the same people at bars and events.

How is this community and drinking beer in this province not awesome?

This hasn't really been argued yet, nor do I suspect there is an argument.

In fact, I'd like to thank the OP for reminding me how great this board is and how good drinking beer in this province is! :)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

The power of the Ontario beer scene increases every time some uncle-type opens up a bottle, or better yet, a can of Mad Tom IPA in a fishing boat, or every time some novice lager head tries @something different@ to stand out at a party, like a Beau's Sleepytime.

Those events happen everyday now, and you won't read about them on a forum for the old crustaceans that lurk here. They, like me, have been there during the drought, have held on steadfast on those bottles of Storm King, or Chocolate Stout that have slipped through the lab, and are just now starting to reap the rewards of years of evangelization.

This forum isn't representative of the Ontario craft beer scene, just as Beer Advocate isn't representative of the same. We are a marginal minority sharing a common passion about craft beer. Some of us are downright crazy. Some of us are insightful.

But at the end of the day, all of us drink good beer.

Cheers fellows. I'm currently rinsing away a Hornbeer Black Magic Woman with a Heritage Dark Lager, and THAT is by no means as pleasant an experience as you'd think :)

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

boney wrote:Fuuuuck, people. The OP's original post was pretty inocuous but has brought up a lot of bile.
His (I assume he) first post was incoherent, but had just enough snark ...
Is this is the place to be for passionate beer fans living in Ontario? ... I'm hoping for fireworks but I'm expecting crickets
to draw people out. His next few posts...
I'd like to talk about how few and far between passionate beer drinkers who use message boards are in this province.
Well I guess that explains the state of craft beer in Ontario.
I think you'd have to have awfully pretty rose glasses on to see those as anything but gas for the fire. People reacted and the thread went off from there, including a post from me that I edited out, but man there is no doubt in my mind that the OP was looking to stir the pot.

4 pages in, I still have no idea what the point originally was, and if there was a real point to be discussed I think you can't fault anyone here for losing it after the initial snark and baiting.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

OK, sure. But I honestly don't really care about who started it, who finishes it or anything in between. My first post was more about preaching general civility and chlling out, but no one needs me to tell them how to behave and its not my fight so no further comment from me.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Oh I totally agree there, which is why I edited out my original post awhile ago. Was just commenting that from where I sit I can certainly see how people got riled up.

It's Friday, time for a good beer maybe even from under/over hyped/appreciated ON!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wray77 wrote:Can you point out my crimes?
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Will you STOP feeding the troll!!!!!!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule_ ... t_culture) (this forum doesn't like ()'s in URLs)
The 1% rule states that the number of people who create content on the Internet represents approximately 1% (or less) of the people actually viewing that content (for example, for every person who posts on a forum, generally about 99 other people are viewing that forum but not posting).
Think of the hundreds and hundreds who read this thread and will now never drink craft beer with any of us again! :wink: