Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Living vicariously, what are you playing/watching?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

irishkyle21

Living vicariously, what are you playing/watching?

Post by irishkyle21 »

I remember an old thread about beer and video games but I couldn't find it for the life of me. I haven't played vids in awhile, just decided to start up Metal Gear Solid 4. I've beat this game every way I can think of years a go, but I'm still having a blast. Next up Bioshock 1 & 2. Also trying to catch up on Breaking Bad, I'm a little behind but that's ok, between BB, Hell on Wheels, my PS3, a few books here and there and work I'm pretty well entertained.
We can get drunker than this!!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

irishkyle21 wrote:I remember an old thread about beer and video games but I couldn't find it for the life of me.
You mean this thread?

Wow, I just linked that for no reason of personal interest at all. Enjoy!
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

irishkyle21 wrote:I remember an old thread about beer and video games but I couldn't find it for the life of me. I haven't played vids in awhile, just decided to start up Metal Gear Solid 4. I've beat this game every way I can think of years a go, but I'm still having a blast. Next up Bioshock 1 & 2. Also trying to catch up on Breaking Bad, I'm a little behind but that's ok, between BB, Hell on Wheels, my PS3, a few books here and there and work I'm pretty well entertained.
I started playing Bioshock 2 late last winter and about 1/3 of the way through decided I wanted to go back and play 1 first (just got my first "next-gen" system, a PS3, in October 2011, after having bled my SNES dry... :lol: ). Anyway, Bioshock is a masterpiece, 2 is intriguing, but doesn't seem like an upgrade on 1. Still totally worth playing, though. I spent that better part of last winter getting through Demon's Souls (sooooo enraging, and soooo rewarding, and the best game I've ever played).

During the summer, I watch/play next to nothing, as I feel guilty hanging around indoors when it's so nice out. Usually the only films I see are in the theatre.

I'm actually really looking forward to fall/winter when I can get into some of the games I've got in my stack that I've yet to play - need to finish Shadows of the Damned, then start Splatterhouse, Folklore, Brutal Legend, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and Arkham Asylum. Add in the fact that I watch, on average, 2 movies a day from Oct-Feb, and it's gonna be a busy cold season :wink:

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Oh right, also played Journey fully through the day it released on the PSN. Such a stunningly beautiful and emotionally resonant game, even at merely ~3 hours gameplay I would highly recommend it at twice the price.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

I just picked up Sleeping Dogs yesterday, but haven't had a chance to fire it up yet. I did play the demo and I really like the combat, similar to the free flow combat style of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

I'll probably eventually end up getting the Ratchet & Clank trilogy pack, because I loved those games on PS2.

And I completely agree about Journey. Even though it's a short game, it was worth every penny. It has to be in the discussion for game of the year.
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Been playing lots of skyrim this summer. Started it when school finished, and I am no where near completing it. If your into midevil RPG's than this is for you.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

playing:
Played a whole lot of Diablo 3 when it came out a couple months back, but haven't played much since. Rock Band is always in heavy rotation at our place. Downloaded Rock Band Blitz last night and I'm hooked - played for about 6 hours straight and only stopped as the eyes were getting blurry. Simple idea but super fun, and if you're a RB player you get 25 new songs for $15, plus a new game - and all your DLC works with both. Also downloaded Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD (updated version of THPS 1+2, with 3 to come as DLC) yesterday and looking forward to firing that up tonight.

watching:
It's been a summer of marathons - picking up season 1 of a show, getting hooked, then running through the rest. Mostly HBO/AMC fare. The Wire, Mad Men, Community, Sons of Anarchy. Great to have Breaking Bad back, and just waiting for Dexter and the next season of SoA to start up again. I've also been eyeing up X-Files on Netflix as a next possible marathon, since I never followed it consistently enough when it was actually on.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Just started on Season 2 of Game of Thrones, have an awful feeling that the last two seasons for Dexter is going to ultimately be a letdown for such a good series.

Rewatched the first season of Soprano's this spring, will likely continue on with it. Also really enjoying the Comedians in Cars drinking Coffee.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

I'm going to have to buy Journey. I downloaded the demo at my girlfriend's place and forgot all about it afterwards. Sleeping Dogs looks pretty sweet. Loved playing Oblivion but it takes so much time so I haven't moved on to Skyrim. I find my gaming goes in spurts where I'll binge and play like crazy then drop it and move on to something else.

There's so many great shows out there it's almost impossible to keep up, Sons of Anarchy, Dexter, Shameless (hilarious so is the original British version), Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, Walking Dead, Luck, Sparticus (so so IMO), House of Lies, Game of Thrones (love the ASOIF books), Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

People actually _like_ Hell On Wheels? The first episode was so awful that i barely even got through it. I was about to turn it off but there was only 10 minutes left so I stuck with it... then the monologueing started and I was done...

It's a shame Sparticus has fallen so far. The first two seasons were awesome, but this last one was a train wreck from the start.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

I also played Diablo 3 for a while until I realized how boring it became and that none of my friends were getting it anytime soon. I don't play on the PC much these days, as I'm reaching the age where a couch takes all precedent - but I still use it for the odd strategy game or FPS, as those genres still play terribly on a console. Metro 2033 was probably the last FPS I played - good atmosphere. I return to Sins of a Solar Empire most for strategy.

On the couch: I also replayed MGS4 after the recent update, but no way in hell am I going for those trophies. Just finished Sam & Max Season 3 with the girlfriend, moved on to Monkey Island. Every so often I'll plug away at my Dark Souls save. Just started Assassin's Creed Brotherhood in my attempt to play through the series, but it's pretty slow-going.

I pretty much had the exact same experience with Journey as velovampire did. Flower, which is made by the same company, is right up there and still the best motion-controlled game I've played. They recently came out with a Journey Collector's Edition which has Journey bundled with their two previous games, Flower and Flow. If you don't have any of those games then you need to get the collection.

At this point I'm not playing a lot and just waiting for a few games:

The Last Guardian
Ni no Kuni (Studio Ghibli)
The Last of Us
Borderlands 2 (never have I had more fun in a game than with my best friend in the first)
Bioshock Infinite
Hitman Absolution
Okami HD
Metro: Last Light (but would prefer a new STALKER)
Half Life 3....? ha!

As for television: I just heard that Life and Times of Tim was cancelled, so it can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned!!
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Loved Borderlands, still go back sometimes to try and beat Crawlermax
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Video games: just finished my regular season and won the Stanley Cup with the Buffalo Sabres on NHL 11 for Xbox 360 (the only realm in which a Cup for the Sabres is likely). Anxiously awaiting 13 to come out in two weeks time. When I'm not playing that I like Tiger Woods and Madden.

TV: I don't follow any series, just watch regular shows on cable. Currently watching The First 48 (plus the "After" shows), almost anything on the Food Network, all of the late night talk and comedy shows except for Fallon (asleep by then), any Argos or Ticats games that I can catch on TSN, Bar Rescue on Spike, CBC The National, some of those debt and home-buying shows (the local ones interest me), and Intervention on occasion. I'm sure there's better channels, shows, and series out there, but I'm too cheap to pay for them. :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

icemachine wrote:Loved Borderlands, still go back sometimes to try and beat Crawlermax
For anyone who is a Playstation Plus member and hasn't checked out Borderlands, it's going to be offered as a free game next week.
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

cratez, I highly recommend Netflix. For 8 bucks a month you can't go wrong.