Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A (stupid) Utopias question

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

munrets

A (stupid) Utopias question

Post by munrets »

Hi all,

Funny situation: I bought a bottle of Utopias last December through the LCBO and brought it to a friend's (distant) place for New Year's. I had exactly one little taste of it and ended up leaving the bottle at his place.

Skip ahead to tomorrow: I'm seeing him again for the first since the bottle was opened and he mentioned that he was going to bring it back to me. The funny thing, though, is that it hasn't been touched since that night - just sitting in a dry place, nearly full, with the top tightly fastened.

So what do you think I'll find? I doubt it will be anything drinkable, but I'm curious. I'm also kind of glad to have the bottle itself.

Thoughts?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Pretty sure it will still be drinkable, especially if not much has been taken out of it
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I've heard of people working on a bottle for some time, and Utopias already has a 'Madeirized' quality (plus very high ABV and gravity.)

Not stupid question.
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

As a homebrewer I have a bottle capper and I often recap a big beer when I don't want it all at once. I don't have a mechanism to purge the bottle so I give it a little swish to release some of it's own CO2 to blanket the top of the beer before capping. Keep the bottle upright to minimize surface area. Also using a sanitized cap is important. I have a few big stouts that have held up a long time just fine doing this.
I would not recommend it for beers where you want to preserve a lot of hop aroma, but then again this can fade even before initial opening.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

This should answer your question, courtesy of Stephen Beaumonts blog.

http://worldofbeer.wordpress.com/2010/1 ... ear-later/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

boney wrote:This should answer your question, courtesy of Stephen Beaumonts blog.

http://worldofbeer.wordpress.com/2010/1 ... ear-later/
"Two-thirds empty bottle" - badly-stored on purpose as a worst-case experiment. Nice!

The very small 'ullage' (air space) of munrets' nearly-full bottle of Utopias should have allowed it to age in a way similar to an unbreached full bottle. I figure there's no way that a small amount of added oxygen affected it that much.
In Beerum Veritas

munrets

Post by munrets »

Thanks for the insight, y'all. Bottle is now in hand - will report back soon.

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

I've never had Utopia. The end.
We can get drunker than this!!