Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Good news from the UK

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Uncle Bobby

Good news from the UK

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Article in today's Independent highlighting the growth in the number of quality brewers in the UK.

"Hops are hipper than ever"

See the title; never mind that the picture accompanying the articles shows grain, not hops, nor that the article does not discuss hops.

The sector is growing in the UK, although the article is not clear whether through pub sales or through sales through various "off-license" alcohol retailers. (Note: previous articles from the UK have noted how the big conglomerate brewers are killing pubs by undercutting their sales and selling discounted drink through supermarkets.)

Another thing I noticed with this article was the "expert" beer blogger's take on the demographic of consumer sustaining this growth. "A younger generation is looking for heritage, provenance and flavoursome beer,.... They're real-ale drinkers who are more adventurous and affluent. "

Whenever any person makes these kind of grand generalizations, particularly when the statement is framed as a statistical amalgam, it sounds inadequate, like a leaky assertion. Stupid, if examined too closely.

I would warn any brewer, or any businessperson, against letting this kind of input trump their knowledge of their market.

But who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?!
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I wouldn't take too much issue with the guy. The hipster crowd is certainly driving the scene in London.