Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great 15 minutes @ Amsterdam yesterday.

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

boney wrote:
phirleh wrote:Hey Jeff, Is it dark? I got a bottle from Boney and haven't busted it open, it looks really dark in the bottle. Cale and I were praying for a mislabelled BA Tempest :wink:
Wieeeerd. Haven't opened my bottle, but it defintiely looks like a Golden Ale. My father-in-law grabbed a couple bottles that same day. He said the first one he opened was indeed a Golden Ale, but poured super black and stout-like.....from the pinot noir barrels, he thought. I'll have to ask what his other bottles look like.

Within batch variability or amazing mislabelling karma?
I've put my bottle up to the light and I can't see through the other side. Only one way to find out.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

phirleh wrote:
boney wrote:
phirleh wrote:Hey Jeff, Is it dark? I got a bottle from Boney and haven't busted it open, it looks really dark in the bottle. Cale and I were praying for a mislabelled BA Tempest :wink:
Wieeeerd. Haven't opened my bottle, but it defintiely looks like a Golden Ale. My father-in-law grabbed a couple bottles that same day. He said the first one he opened was indeed a Golden Ale, but poured super black and stout-like.....from the pinot noir barrels, he thought. I'll have to ask what his other bottles look like.

Within batch variability or amazing mislabelling karma?
I've put my bottle up to the light and I can't see through the other side. Only one way to find out.
I just checked my second bottle and it's definitely "clear" or at least light coloured. Weird.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

It is definitely mislabelled BA Tempest. I know because I opened my only Goedenavondie-whatever-it's-called and it was a whiskey barrel aged stout.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cmadd wrote:It is definitely mislabelled BA Tempest. I know because I opened my only Goedenavondie-whatever-it's-called and it was a whiskey barrel aged stout.
Wow - awesome deal, guys! Oh man, just realized I gave one to a friend - hope it wasn't another mislabelled one!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Streets

Post by Streets »

Haha, I'll have to take a look at mine! I just hope Boney doesn't want it back now :)

EDIT: Mine looks like a golden ale, oh well.
Last edited by Streets on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cmadd wrote:It is definitely mislabelled BA Tempest. I know because I opened my only Goedenavondie-whatever-it's-called and it was a whiskey barrel aged stout.
Hah. I wasn't there for the 15 minutes these were available though I tried - yet I'm curious if they just mislabeled some of their BA stout as Goudenvrooden.

I mean, didn't they wonder where all the botttles of barrel-aged stout went?

ps count me as a fan of the Tempest AND Calm B4 the storm.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:
Hah. I wasn't there for the 15 minutes these were available though I tried - yet I'm curious if they just mislabeled some of their BA stout as Goudenvrooden.

I mean, didn't they wonder where all the botttles of barrel-aged stout went?

ps count me as a fan of the Tempest AND Calm B4 the storm.
I'm wondering how many there actually were...

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Gotta check my bottles at home, both have been sitting in the cellar since I got them
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

I wonder if there is anyone in an inverse position, having a bottle of BA Tempest that is actually a Belgian Golden Ale? Everyone...drink your tempest so we can get to the bottom of this.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Just did a flashlight test on my bottle of each, and they both seem to be the right beer. Whew! :wink:

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

GregClow wrote:Just did a flashlight test on my bottle of each, and they both seem to be the right beer. Whew! :wink:
I didn't even think about the Tempest being the wrong bottles - just checked and it looks ok...I imagine (hope!) that it's only a one-way mix up!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

I talked with Blake, and the rumour is true, here's what he told me
Blake here from Amsterdam. There was a small number of Barrel Aged Tempest bottles that were mistakenly labelled as Goedenavond Belgian Golden Ale. These bottles were not dipped in wax either. I've been following the thread on Bar Towel today and can see some other BTers have the same issue.

Very sorry about the confusion and mix up. With the brewery moving, there was a cross between boxes and this unfortunately happened. Glad no one is too upset about this! if you bring the bottle of mislabelled Whiskey Barrel Aged Tempest in to our new retail store in Leaside (after Nov. 1) I will gladly exchange for a Belgian Golden Ale aged in Pinot Barrels (which we are bottling more of for our new brewery retail store launch on Nov. 1... and more Whiskey Barrel Aged Tempest in bottles for then too).

Thanks,

Blake.
Mystery solved!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Jinkies!

Hopefully the BA Tempest is an acceptible substitute for those that got 'em. Stand up of Amsterdam to offer an exchange too!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

boney wrote:Jinkies!

Hopefully the BA Tempest is an acceptible substitute for those that got 'em. Stand up of Amsterdam to offer an exchange too!
And thanks Jay, since you were the deliverer of these disguised goods, we'll hold off on the Parabola tasting until you can make it.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Looks like 1/2 Goednavond bottles I picked up was a BA Tempest, I won't worry about making the exchange :)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole