Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Iain Murdoch,Lackey,Sawdust City & Indie Ale. go lambic

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Thanks for the links!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:
Belgian wrote:
mintjellie wrote: It's not spontaneous if it's inoculated. :P
'Tis. By exposing the beer to allow wild yeast have its way with it, it's wild inoculated..
I tend to think that inoculation implies a purposeful introduction of something specific, rather than passively letting things introduce themselves.
I think the confusing usage here means just placing something deliberately in the presence of wild yeasts they don't control, in contrast to very predictable modern method. It replicates the 'spontaneous' fermentation that we've brewed with for milennia AND intentionally exploited long before we knew about yeasts, breeding good strains etc.

Of course the ancient method wasn't totally spontaneous either except for the times done by mistake you could endlessly argue! 8) It was just as intentional even if they lacked the same science.
In Beerum Veritas