Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka relasing TWICE AS Mad Tom DIPA

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I had another bottle last night.. and it reminds me more of a slightly stronger IPA than a DIPA. I followed it up with a boneshaker - which also seems like a stronger IPA.. which I get 6 bottles of for the same price as 4 2X MT's.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Had one of these, a Garrison IIPA, and a Boneshaker last night, and preferred them in that order, although I would gladly drink all three!

I need to try again with a 10BY as well, but maybe not on a Tuesday :)

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Went to my local LC to pick up a four-pack (and ended up raiding the whole store...lots of great bottles to try this season) and just had my first sip.

All I can say is: hell yes. Ontario, we've arrived. This is what I've been waiting for. Cheers to Muskoka for letting me have this in my fridge.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I still got a few 10BY from the last release that I need to drink up before I fill my fridge with this and the RPA! Two VERY expensive beers, but delicious.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Had one of these, a Garrison IIPA, and a Boneshaker last night, and preferred them in that order, although I would gladly drink all three!

I need to try again with a 10BY as well, but maybe not on a Tuesday
I would nominate Camerons RPA for that tasting, as well. Would be interesting!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:I would nominate Camerons RPA for that tasting, as well. Would be interesting!
Not also Red Racer?

I think TAMTom is great & seems to be improving in the fridge after a week or two, more lemony. Sometimes freshly bottled products need a settling-in period.
In Beerum Veritas

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Strictly comparing locally available IIPA's though.

Tried the TAMTOM against a 10BY - for me 10BY still takes the crown, it's just got so much going for it. They are all delicious beers though!

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

I went to buy more of this earlier, got my pack, checked the bargain bin and there were 3 bottles of it. So, paid $12.95 for the 4pk, and $6 for 3 singles out of the bin.

So if you usually skip the bargain bin, take a look!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Having kids playing rep sports has really helped me pick up stuff at various LCBO's when the item hasn't been available locally. Took advantage of that Tuesday when my son had a game in Kitchener just a few blocks from the Alpine Centre store.

Picked up two 4-packs. Halfway to the front, I realized one only had 3 bottles. Hmmmm. Single bottle sale? Pocket packaged?

Smiled to myself when I checked out. The guy behind me had two sixes of Coors Light.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

S. St. Jeb wrote:

Smiled to myself when I checked out. The guy behind me had two sixes of Coors Light.
Welcome to Kitchener!!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Had one of these the other night.

Not my kind of DIPA. I will acknowledge that this is a well made, balanced DIPA, but not my cup of tea.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

S. St. Jeb wrote:... when my son had a game in Kitchener just a few blocks from the Alpine Centre store.
Holy moly, you just brought back a lot of memories. Quick story about this place:

When I was in high school, I looked MUCH older than I did - it also didn't help that I could grow a full beard at 14.

This was my "local" LCBO - I used to go a couple times a week when I was 15-19. Why so much? Partly for myself, but I soon realized that everyone at my school was asking me to go for them...so...my friend with a car, and me, we had a little "black market" operation out of my locker and making decent money off of it. We would go on Friday at Lunch, and kids would pick up their "orders" from my locker after school.

They knew me so well, but never ID'ed me! When I got my hair cut, the clerk would make note about how nice it looked! Looking back it seems like someone would've flagged a young man buying 6-8 26ers a week, no matter how good I looked, but no...Found out this year that my father got wind of it, and tried to stop it (without me knowing) by giving them a description of me, but that didn't stop them from serving me either.

Anyway that store made me some coin and pretty popular at school, for whatever THAT'S worth!

...Guess I have a bit of a history of scamming the LC...

...Anyways Twice as Mad Tom...good stuff...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Grabbed a 4-pack of this in Alberta, seems to be relatively fresh, can't be more than 6-7 weeks old.

Tried 1 bottle the other night with friends, right after passing around a very bold Phillips Puzzler Black Belgian DIPA. Made the 2xMad Tom seem bland and watery with almost zero hop character.

Trying another bottle tonight on its own, and it is much better. Lots of tropical fruit on the nose and some floral perfume. I'm rather picky when it comes to hop combos and this is not exactly my favourite, just doesn't work for me. Sorta reminds me of pulpy 5-Alive, which I hated as a kid.

Flavour is better, hops are not as prominent, there is some dry grainy malt with a very light sweetness. Finish is grainy malt and medium bitterness. Nice body and carbonation for the style, with a well hidden alcohol.

Like I say, not my personal favourite hop blend, but certainly respectable. I'd like a little more of the classic grapefruit nose mixed in.

Good job Muskoka, Ontarians be proud.

Draft_Punk

Post by Draft_Punk »

Available on Bayfield LCBO (Barrie)... Bought it there the other week incase anyone is looking.