Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka relasing TWICE AS Mad Tom DIPA

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

heebes

Post by heebes »

Seconded, anxious to try it.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Thanks, Laba, for the update, and really, don't worry about the price - just my opinion, but I think the price is reasonable.

Can't wait to try it - you were the first out of the gate with a true AIPA year round on the shelves, and you're the first with a DIPA. Well done!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Muskokan wrote:... IBU's are 71. This was more a result of our preference in flavour of Double IPA's rather than playing it safe. We have been drinking as many Double IPA's as we could get our hands on for the past 8 months and the one's we really enjoy are incredibly hop forward, with wicked aroma, but yet still drinkable without puckering your face with bitterness. We're really enjoying how this beer drinks. It's a big beer, with a ton of hops but one that you don't need to work to get through.

Price...it really comes down to the sheer amount of hops and time in tank.
I like where you are going with this. It sounds well worked out instead of just literally 'double everything' made into an undrinkable trainwreck. For example Stone Ruination is really well-hopped and more expensive, and you can actually enjoy the well-controlled big hop flavors.

And 'Tank time" is just like pay parking, so yeah Toronto people understand this.
In Beerum Veritas

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Belgian wrote:
Muskokan wrote:... IBU's are 71. This was more a result of our preference in flavour of Double IPA's rather than playing it safe. We have been drinking as many Double IPA's as we could get our hands on for the past 8 months and the one's we really enjoy are incredibly hop forward, with wicked aroma, but yet still drinkable without puckering your face with bitterness. We're really enjoying how this beer drinks. It's a big beer, with a ton of hops but one that you don't need to work to get through.

Price...it really comes down to the sheer amount of hops and time in tank.
I like where you are going with this. It sounds well worked out instead of just literally 'double everything' made into an undrinkable trainwreck. For example Stone Ruination is really well-hopped and more expensive, and you can actually enjoy the well-controlled big hop flavors.

And 'Tank time" is just like pay parking, so yeah Toronto people understand this.
Stone claims 100 IBU's on those well-controlled hops, fwiw. :P

http://www.stonebrew.com/ruin/

I think I would Ruinate my liver if that beer were sold in Ontario, or if an Ontario brewer put a similar beer on the shelves year round.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Maybe Batshit Insane Tom will have 100 IBUs.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:Stone claims 100 IBU's on those well-controlled hops, fwiw. :P

http://www.stonebrew.com/ruin/

I think I would Ruinate my liver if that beer were sold in Ontario, or if an Ontario brewer put a similar beer on the shelves year round.
And Stone still control the end result - pure greatness!

I'm not sure an oversized IPA like that is meant for everyday, it's more like the 'Sunday wine' of beers. The liver and body systems need to eliminate all this stuff we chug down all week (or whenever we inbibe.)
In Beerum Veritas

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Picked up eight today at the beer boutique on mill st.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Grabbed a couple packs from the brewery. Cracked the first one. Really nice, perceived bitterness actually seems pretty high.. maybe it's my imagination.

Great beer, keep em' coming Muskoka!

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

After having several I find this to be a one trick pony. Hoppy up front, very smooth but not a very memorable finish. On the right path but could learn a few things from tree and garrison when it comes to making a great double IPA.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Stroonze wrote:After having several I find this to be a one trick pony. Hoppy up front, very smooth but not a very memorable finish. On the right path but could learn a few things from tree and garrison when it comes to making a great double IPA.
Interesting. I don't consider Tree or Garrison's DIPAs to be particularly great, so maybe I will really like Mad Tom :)

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Stroonze wrote:After having several I find this to be a one trick pony. Hoppy up front, very smooth but not a very memorable finish. On the right path but could learn a few things from tree and garrison when it comes to making a great double IPA.
Interesting. I don't consider Tree or Garrison's DIPAs to be particularly great, so maybe I will really like Mad Tom :)
Not if the pints I had tonight were any indication. I hope it was the Cabin Fever version as it had almost no aroma, and was quite malty. It was tapped while I was at the bar but only labelled "Muskoka Double IPA". I was quite disappointed.

Is something like Double Jack too much to ask for??
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Interesting. I don't consider Tree or Garrison's DIPAs to be particularly great, so maybe I will really like Mad Tom

If you dont like those then im sure you will be quite happy with this one.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Cale wrote: almost no aroma, and was quite malty.
From my point of view, that is the kiss of death for an IPA/DIPA. I will still try this one for myself though...

heebes

Post by heebes »

Yeah I don't really consider Tree or Garrison DIPAs to be that great either. I was hopeing for a big American style double but if it's just an amped up Mad Tom I'd be okay with that, MT is definately the best Ontario ipa in my eyes.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

What do you guys like as doubles? Garrison and double hop head are two of my favourite big IPA's. I am really interested to hear what Canadian brews you would put on top of them.