Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LABATT's in the 1800s

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

adventures_alc

LABATT's in the 1800s

Post by adventures_alc »

Hey Bartowel,

Here is my first post detailing the research I am doing at London's Labatt Archives. Want to know what beer was like in London in the 1880s? Here's a good place to start.

http://www.adventuresinalcohol.com/2012 ... -1894.html

If you have questions, please ask away. To be honest, I don't come here too often and I like to pretend I am very busy (sometimes I am not pretending) so I may be slow to reply. I'll do my best. Maybe go to the blog and leave a comment instead. That way, the general reader will see your question instead of seeing it exclusively on here. More fruitful discussion that way I suspect.

If you have a more general beer history question I recommend this websitehttp://barclayperkins.blogspot.ca/ to get you started.

I am going to keep blogging about what I find in a similar style to Ron's. Whatever I am working on will get a post. Piece by piece we will put things together. We might even learn something.

--AB

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Very interesting. Thanks.

studious

Post by studious »

*historian alert*

If you are writing about Labatt in the 1884-1894, you are actually writing about the nineteen-hundreds or 19th century, not the 1800s. A bit counter-intuitive, I know.

It's been awhile since I've looked through old account books in an archives. Enjoy your research in one of my favourite subjects!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

studious wrote:*historian alert*

If you are writing about Labatt in the 1884-1894, you are actually writing about the nineteen-hundreds or 19th century, not the 1800s. A bit counter-intuitive, I know.

It's been awhile since I've looked through old account books in an archives. Enjoy your research in one of my favourite subjects!
What? If you are talking about for example the year 1884 it is most certainly considered the 1800's the same way 1984 is considered part of the 1980's. But you are right in that the first century was 0 AD to 100 AD so the 1800's is the 19th century.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

The 1800s is the 19th century, just as the 2000s is the 21st century - Aaron didn't make any mistake.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Flood

Post by Flood »

JeffPorter wrote:

The 1800s is the 19th century, just as the 2000s is the 21st century - Aaron didn't make any mistake.
1+
No mistake made
beer up

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Flood wrote: No mistake made
My mistake was reading this nonsense argument that littered an interesting thread.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

markaberrant wrote:
Flood wrote: No mistake made
My mistake was reading this nonsense argument that littered an interesting thread.
I think you're mistaken :wink:
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

adventures_alc

Post by adventures_alc »

Thank you all for defending my honour!

Glad you enjoyed the read. There will be more to come. Eventually. Sometime after Cask Days.

studious

Post by studious »

:oops:

Sorry all! Not really sure how I fell off the cask wagon on that one.