Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Whitewater Brewing Co. in Renfrew county

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lubiere

Whitewater Brewing Co. in Renfrew county

Post by Lubiere »

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

...Interesting heading on their FB...

"Whitewater Brewing Company is a Micro Brewery founded by 3 passionate and terribly competent raft guides who hope that their friendship, their keen taste for beer and their desire for a quality product will overcome their current lack of Brewing knowledge"

"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Hilarious. I'm from that area. I'll start asking around. Never heard anything about it.

Sounds like it's a couple of hippies from Wilderness Tours.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JeffPorter wrote:...Interesting heading on their FB...

"Whitewater Brewing Company is a Micro Brewery founded by 3 passionate and terribly competent raft guides who hope that their friendship, their keen taste for beer and their desire for a quality product will overcome their current lack of Brewing knowledge"

Would love to see the business plan that got these guys their start up capital...

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

cfrancis wrote:Hilarious. I'm from that area. I'll start asking around. Never heard anything about it.

I worked a summer at Wilderness Tours. :lol:

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Business plan:

Hey Uncle Joe,

Mooner and I wanna start a brewery. Have you seen the growth rate of the craft brewery industry? It's not like the party boat industry we've been losing money on for the past seven years. Could you help us out? It's a sure thing man. As soon as we make a killing and I can move out of mom's garage I'll pay you back.

Regards Jaxzy.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

mintjellie wrote:
cfrancis wrote:Hilarious. I'm from that area. I'll start asking around. Never heard anything about it.

I worked a summer at Wilderness Tours. :lol:
So did I, 1995 and so did my sister. I also went to high school with the director.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

That does it.

I`m starting a brewery.

I know I`ve only ever brewed a few beers from extracts, but I`m pretty sure I can do it.

Just going to leave my teaching job and cash in my pension for the equipment. I`m sure my wife will be fine with it.

I don`t really know how to brew good beer, nor am I particularly skilled in business, but hopefully, my love of beer and money will compensate for my lack of knowledge...of brewing and money-making.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

probstk

Post by probstk »

That's it exactly. My guide this summer was one of the 3 partners. They bought some kind of sweet turn-key brew house (according to him). I probed a bit and it was fairly clear that the learning curve will be steep. Doesn't sound like they have any brewing experience or even much beer drinking experience. Unless he was playing his cards REALLY close to his chest.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

probstk wrote:

That's it exactly. My guide this summer was one of the 3 partners. They bought some kind of sweet turn-key brew house (according to him). I probed a bit and it was fairly clear that the learning curve will be steep. Doesn't sound like they have any brewing experience or even much beer drinking experience. Unless he was playing his cards REALLY close to his chest.
Hopefully they have the cash to hire a talented brewer to go along with their sweet brewhouse. Otherwise there could be problems. I mean I have been home brewing since this past spring, and I while I have made beer that I don't mind drinking, I haven't come anywhere close to making beer that I think would be good enough to sell (or even give to people). That's not so bad when you are talking about what you can make in your kitchen, but when you are talking about commercial levels of production, working out the kinks and making bad beer you can't sell would be very expensive.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

If they are selling it mainly on the premises I expect they can unload a lot of "learning curve" beer as long as they sell it cheap...

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

That is prime Blue Light and Coors Light drinking demographic up there.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

cfrancis wrote:That is prime Blue Light and Coors Light drinking demographic up there.
As far as guests go, it's more like gigantic Alabama Slammers served in buckets.

In terms of staff, things skew more towards PBR, 50, Old Milwaukee, and Beast Ice.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I remember rumors of Square Timber Brewing from Pembroke a few years back. their web page has a new post - the first post in three years. Maybe the region is ready for some craft beer finally. :P :P

Although I have never seen a bar selling craft in the area I have been pleasantly surprised by the selection of better beer in the LCBOs up there that last few times I have been there.

The founder of Scotch Irish ( still? ) lives very near Beachburg. lets hope the first good business move Whitewater Brewing makes is to hire him!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Although I have never seen a bar selling craft in the area I have been pleasantly surprised by the selection of better beer in the LCBOs up there that last few times I have been there.
Which ones? Eganville and Killaloe mostly a disaster ....