Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Where can I get good barwhere?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Urotsukidoji

Where can I get good barwhere?

Post by Urotsukidoji »

I'm in Mississauga, looking for a place in town (or on line) to get good barware. Looking fro some nice tulip shaped beer glasses (not the big wide chalice type). My favourite one got all broken on me.

I've looked around, but can't find quite what I want...

:(
Last edited by Urotsukidoji on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

I got my lulip glasses at Dollarama, and snifters at Independent Grocer on clearance for $1.50 each

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

Urotsukidoji wrote:I'm in Mississauga, looking for a place in town (or on line) to get good barware. Looking fro some nice tulip shaped beer glasses (not the big wide chalice type). My favourite one got all broken on me.

I've looked around, but can find quite what I want...

:(
I've found good glassware at Value Village.

Jason

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Although definitely not on the most economical side of things, Crate & Barrel has a pretty wide range of beer glasses.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

What are you looking for? Branded or non-branded? Price restrictions?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Amsterdam Brewing Co. has very nice tulip glasses they are now selling for ten dollars. I was very tempted the other day!

I recall that Creemore's new bar Beer Academy on Victoria street has one or two sizes of tulip for sale.

So there's two nice excuses to go where the beer is.
In Beerum Veritas

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Depending on what you're looking for I would definitely check out Value Village. I shop there frequently because it's always changing and you never know what you're going to find. I was in just last night and picked up a really nice $80 frying pan for $10. Found a Duvel tulip glass for $1.99 (they had two). They also had a Leffe glass and several weizen glasses as well.

We just had Beertown open in Cambridge and soon in Waterloo. While they're beer selection is good but not stellar they do have a deal where you can buy any of the glasses they serve the beer in for an addition $5 (I think). They do take care to serve each beer in a matched branded glass so you could find what you're looking for there.

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:What are you looking for? Branded or non-branded? Price restrictions?
Branding is not important, price is really not an issue. Not that I have wads of cash, but I will pay $ for what I want.... I did pay $30.00 per glass for my Riedel Vinum Port glasses;
http://www.wineenthusiast.com/riedel-vi ... f-2%29.asp

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

Looking for something with a pronounced tulip shape, and I like the lip of the glass to be on the thin side. Something like this;

or the one in this Mikasa set

or this Piraat branded one;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triple-Ale-Pira ... 3cc627e43c

really rather buy in person, sometimes ordering off ebay and such, the product is not quite what it seemed to be.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Urotsukidoji wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:What are you looking for? Branded or non-branded? Price restrictions?
Branding is not important, price is really not an issue. Not that I have wads of cash, but I will pay $ for what I want.... I did pay $30.00 per glass for my Riedel Vinum Port glasses;
http://www.wineenthusiast.com/riedel-vi ... f-2%29.asp
The reason I asked is because there are some US breweries that will ship glassware to Canada. You pay a bit for the shipping though. Cigar City and Surly both come to mind. I know there are others as well...

As others have suggested, Amsterdam has a really nice (albeit pricey) Boneshaker tulip. Great Lakes has 25th Anniversary tulips for sale. If you can get yourself to a Bellwoods retail store sale, they have really nice tulips as well.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

The kind of unbranded 12 oz tulips that you see at most bars, I've found at Dollarama for very cheap. They're pretty good, because they're nice and sturdy unlike some branded ones which can be a little thin (spearhead, for example).

Other than that, I agree with the Value Village suggestion. It's not just the price - often you can find, exactly what you want.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:As others have suggested, Amsterdam has a really nice (albeit pricey) Boneshaker tulip.
Not to steer this converstation, but does anyone have a picture of the Boneshaker tulip?

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

JeffPorter wrote:The kind of unbranded 12 oz tulips that you see at most bars, I've found at Dollarama for very cheap. They're pretty good, because they're nice and sturdy unlike some branded ones which can be a little thin (spearhead, for example).

Other than that, I agree with the Value Village suggestion. It's not just the price - often you can find, exactly what you want.
Picked up 2 of the cheapies from Dollarama. Good shape, but I like a thinner glass, these will be for those that are say, less agile and balanced while drinking.

I then ordered 4 of these Spiegelau Beer Classics Stemmed Pilsner Glasses;

from this local seller "Epicure";
http://www.epicureshop.ca/

They do not usually carry these, but sell other Spiegelau items and were able to special order them.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Have a bunch of Tulips, Delium Tremens and Corsendonk are likely the thinnest, but I always feel I need to be extra careful handling them. The GLB 25th anniversary and Duvel are a bit heavier but I don't flinch if the bottle touches the rim on them
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Urotsukidoji wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:The kind of unbranded 12 oz tulips that you see at most bars, I've found at Dollarama for very cheap. They're pretty good, because they're nice and sturdy unlike some branded ones which can be a little thin (spearhead, for example).

Picked up 2 of the cheapies from Dollarama. Good shape, but I like a thinner glass, these will be for those that are say, less agile and balanced while drinking.

I then ordered 4 of these Spiegelau Beer Classics Stemmed Pilsner Glasses;

from this local seller "Epicure";
http://www.epicureshop.ca/

They do not usually carry these, but sell other Spiegelau items and were able to special order them.
Spiegelau's are nice, just know that they're pretty brittle. DW is an absolute no no for those - learned that the hard way.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John