Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Christmas Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

St Veronus

Christmas Beer

Post by St Veronus »

Santa has dropped off the Christmas Beer at St Veronus a little early. These are available while supplies last.

Gouden Carolus Noel (9.1%)
Massive festive ale with notes of clove, cinnamon, burnt sugar, ginger & raisins. Christmas cake in a glass. 99% on Ratebeer.com
330 ml $9.99

St Martin Cuvee de Noel (6.9%)
Dark winter brew with notes of fruit cake, banana, pepper, clove & toffee.
330 ml $9.75

Abbaye des Rocs Speciale Noel (9%)
Dark mahogany with notes of candied nuts, orange peel, brown sugar & nutmeg.
330 ml $9.85

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Funny how we assume a Christmas beer has to taste like a fruitcake. Actually, I kind of find it tacky. Yes there is a tradition of taking all your valuable larder items in the middle of winter and rolling them into one celebratory desert, but really, can't a celebratory beer just taste like a good beer? Depending on geography, wouldn't a decent dopplebock or stout be more appropriate choice? Especially if pairing with food or desert?

The same problem has happened with pumpkin ales. What was once fermentable with a unique characteristic has been smothered in adjuncts to make something that tastes like pumpkin pie. Not only is this not what a pumpkin beer historically was, but brewers have flocked to this trend and are all essentially making the same flavour mess. Perhaps it's just too easy for them to cash in on a fad?

What's next a Robbie Burns beer that tastes like mutton?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have all this variety and experimentation, but I suspect some of us will be disappointed with well meaning beer gifts from people who think they found the perfect gift for a beer lover at the LCBO, just because it was 'festive'.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Tapsucker wrote: What's next a Robbie Burns beer that tastes like mutton?
No, a Robbie Burns beer that tastes like haggis.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Peter Collins wrote:
Tapsucker wrote: What's next a Robbie Burns beer that tastes like mutton?
No, a Robbie Burns beer that tastes like haggis.
Well, that's what I really meant. Let the debate on RateBeer begin over the subtle gamey notes. :wink:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

Tapsucker wrote:Funny how we assume a Christmas beer has to taste like a fruitcake. Actually, I kind of find it tacky. Yes there is a tradition of taking all your valuable larder items in the middle of winter and rolling them into one celebratory desert, but really, can't a celebratory beer just taste like a good beer? Depending on geography, wouldn't a decent dopplebock or stout be more appropriate choice?
Liam Mckenna at the Yellowbelly here in St John's Newfoundland released his Christmas seasonal "Mummers Brew" this week. It was a spiced beer the last two years, but for 2012 it is a chocolate porter. Really good. One of those chocolate beers that you can't get your nose out of the glass. :D

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Isn't doppelbock spring or lenten bier?

Het Anker started brewing Gouden Carolus Noel again in 2002, after 38 years since it's last brewing. We can assume then, that this beer was probably brewed for some time before it's first discontinuance. Seems like a pretty traditional Christmas product if you ask me.
Tapsucker wrote:Funny how we assume a Christmas beer has to taste like a fruitcake. Actually, I kind of find it tacky. Yes there is a tradition of taking all your valuable larder items in the middle of winter and rolling them into one celebratory desert, but really, can't a celebratory beer just taste like a good beer? Depending on geography, wouldn't a decent dopplebock or stout be more appropriate choice? Especially if pairing with food or desert?

The same problem has happened with pumpkin ales. What was once fermentable with a unique characteristic has been smothered in adjuncts to make something that tastes like pumpkin pie. Not only is this not what a pumpkin beer historically was, but brewers have flocked to this trend and are all essentially making the same flavour mess. Perhaps it's just too easy for them to cash in on a fad?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have all this variety and experimentation, but I suspect some of us will be disappointed with well meaning beer gifts from people who think they found the perfect gift for a beer lover at the LCBO, just because it was 'festive'.

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

My requirement for a Christmas beer?

That it's strong to make the holidays with my extended family seem like a good idea :)

Jason

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

JasonTremblay wrote:My requirement for a Christmas beer?

That it's strong to make the holidays with my extended family seem like a good idea :)

Jason
Bingo! My wife calls it having a few to get our tolerance on, and she's talking about her family!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Tapsucker wrote:Funny how we assume a Christmas beer has to taste like a fruitcake. Actually, I kind of find it tacky.
I'm pretty sure Stella was originally brewed for Christmas. :D I'll take fruitcake beer.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Tapsucker wrote:Funny how we assume a Christmas beer has to taste like a fruitcake. Actually, I kind of find it tacky. Yes there is a tradition of taking all your valuable larder items in the middle of winter and rolling them into one celebratory desert, but really, can't a celebratory beer just taste like a good beer? Depending on geography, wouldn't a decent dopplebock or stout be more appropriate choice? Especially if pairing with food or desert?

This was entertaining.

Thank you.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I find the booze that's most associated with Christmas is brandy or cognac, surprised we don't have more beers with those flavours.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John