Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Checking suitcases on a plane with beer in them

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I usually bring along a few empty scotch tubes for the bottles, and any additional bottles I have I just wrap as many clothes around as I can.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I usually use a combination of socks and shorts as well. Never had a breakage, but I have only done it 3 times. You could also invest in some wine skins - if have used those before and they work well.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I've had two or three breakages over the years, but it's certainly not the norm. I use a typical "soft-shell" suitcase. Lots of bubble wrap. It takes time to do it properly, so I haven't bothered in a while.

One time a can exploded. Not sure what happened there, if it was punctured or something. One time a bottle broke that I blame on myself because it wasn't particularly well placed in the suitcase, so I expect that pressure from another suitcase on top (or a good throw) caused it.

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

I've similar experiences to most others, in that i've never had a break. I don't have a hard-side case, i have soft fabric cases to keep the weight of the case down, they have hardish plastic in the sides to keep the shape, but nothing like the hardshell cases.

I wrap my bottles first in a ziplock bag (i buy bags big enough before a trip for the common bottle sizes where i am going, i.e. smaller for Europe, medium for 500ml bottles in England, big for bombers from the US), then stuff the bagged beers inside socks, and wrap two or three socked bottles inside t-shirts within the case and other clothes for padding anywhere i think the shirt isn't buffering a direct hit to the case/bottle.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

rejtable wrote:I usually bring along a few empty scotch tubes for the bottles...
Awesome! :D

That's either incredibly cheap or insanely expensive, depending on your perspective.

Either way, the environmentalist deep down inside me says "Great RE-USE!".

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Derek wrote:On the last trip I didn't want to haul an extra bag, and I ended up a bit over the weight limit... which actually cost more than checking a second bag. :cry:
Coming back from Seattle a couple years ago they had a promotion for a free second bag, but I got dinged $75 for having a bag that was 2-3lbs overweight. Had I known I would have filled a whole second shipping box with beer!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

JerCraigs wrote:Coming back from Seattle a couple years ago they had a promotion for a free second bag, but I got dinged $75 for having a bag that was 2-3lbs overweight. Had I known I would have filled a whole second shipping box with beer!
You mean you didn't just pull one beer out of your bag and drink it on the spot? Rookie! :)

I actually picked up one of those hanging luggage scales specifically for this reason. Easier to drink one at the hotel the night before or shuffle some clothes/etc around until the weight is under the magic 50# number rather than scrambling at the airport. some places will let you go if it's within a pound or two, but better safe than sorry.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Within Canada, Westjet charges $20 for an extra bag, but it's a $50 overweight charge. Being last-minute, I just swallowed the extra $30. I bet that happens a lot.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

grub wrote: You mean you didn't just pull one beer out of your bag and drink it on the spot? Rookie! :)
I considered it... It would have meant drinking more than one.

Where did you get the luggage scale? that's probably a worthwhile investment next time we are flying.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I've seen the luggage scales in Canadian Tire, cost around $10 to $20.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

yeah, i see them in CT and such. ours is something fancier sounding from an actual luggage store, but it was 50% of or something when my wife was making a purchase so I grabbed it. digital and shit!

i have had an overweight bag, but we just stepped back and did some shuffling to move things between bags and were able to make it work. that was part of what prompted me to pick up the scale. I also try to keep the ends of my rolls of packing tape for travelling so I can tape up boxes and such if necessary and won't be concerned if the roll gets sacrificed due to space.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I've schlepped around a ton of beer. Same as others socks, shirts, actually packed a 6 styro shipper once.

Never had a breakage and that's with three trips to Germany for work taking beer both ways. Canadian stuff for Germans, German stuff for me.

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

JerCraigs wrote:
grub wrote: You mean you didn't just pull one beer out of your bag and drink it on the spot? Rookie! :)
I considered it... It would have meant drinking more than one.

Where did you get the luggage scale? that's probably a worthwhile investment next time we are flying.
I got mine at the Bay, the $10-20 range seems to be about what i recall paying. Been a lifesaver on UK trips for making sure bags are within the weight limit as the 2nd or 3rd bag fee tends to be less than the cost of paying per kilo on the overweight.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I forgot to mention it in my earlier post, but I strongly suggest a hard-shelled style of suitcase. I use Heys leggage for my beer and there's no question that it plays a part in protecting the beer inside during transit.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

cfrancis wrote:I've schlepped around a ton of beer. Same as others socks, shirts, actually packed a 6 styro shipper once.
i have a 6 bottle styro shipper that i've modified so it can be used to hold 2 growlers or 12 cans too. conveniently fits inside my suitcase, so i often pack it empty so i can check it and still have suitcase space for more if needed :)